[SOLVED] trying to install from live xfce usb

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
pcbsd64

[SOLVED] trying to install from live xfce usb

Post by pcbsd64 »

Code: Select all

one[~]$ su
Password: 
root[one]# /usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py", line 2395, in <module>
    SalixLiveInstaller()
  File "/usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py", line 262, in __init__
    with open(LiveCdMountPoint + "/" + SaLTIdentFile) as SaLTIdent :
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1/salix-xfce-13.37-64.live'
root[one]# 

Last edited by pcbsd64 on 24. Apr 2012, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: trying to install from live xfce usb

Post by JRD »

Have you installed your Salix Live in a subdirectory?
pcbsd64

Post by pcbsd64 »

I did this as root

cd /mnt/salt/mnt
mkdir sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1
Then the installer found the usb drive. Reminiscent of the old slackware style installer, I had to mount the usb drive where the installer was looking for it. I guess just that's the way its done in this neck of the woods.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Can you give us some more information on your setup, please. Like what JRD asked subdirectory, memonly, ...? Otherwise it's hard to find the actual source of the problem.
pcbsd64

Post by pcbsd64 »

There isn't a problem. I created a USB stick with unetbootin from the Salix live XFCE iso image. When I clicked on the installer icon after booting from the USB stick, nothing happened.

I ran the command /usr/sbin/salix-live-installer.py in a terminal, which gave me an output indicating that the installer couldn't find the USB stick.

I mounted the USB stick where the installer was looking for it and the installer found it and installed Salix XFCE on my hard drive.

The old slackware type installer that I used last time I installed Salix had a similar method of finding the USB stick to install from.http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/I ... _USB_stick
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Arghhh....don't make assumptions please.

USB not mounted is not the correct behavior. I installed others Salix using Salix Live on a USB key without having to mount it, so it IS a problem/bug here. And so I ask you some information to understand what changed in your setup in order to correct it.

So seems you didn't install Salix Live in a subdirectory and that you didn't pass any parameter/option on Live boot. Is it right? Is your USB key have more than one partition? What is the type of the USB key partition?

Thank you to help answer these questions to help solve the problem.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

pcbsd64 wrote:There isn't a problem. I created a USB stick with unetbootin from the Salix live XFCE iso image.
And your problem is right there. Unetbootin is not supported. You should not use it. See: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _a_USB_key
pcbsd64

Post by pcbsd64 »

JRD wrote: USB not mounted is not the correct behavior. I installed others Salix using Salix Live on a USB key without having to mount it, so it IS a problem/bug here. And so I ask you some information to understand what changed in your setup in order to correct it.
I misunderstood. The way that I was able to install Salix Live XFCE is a problem for YOU.
JRD wrote:So seems you didn't install Salix Live in a subdirectory and that you didn't pass any parameter/option on Live boot. Is it right?
Correct.
JRD wrote:Is your USB key have more than one partition? What is the type of the USB key partition?
pcbsd64

Post by pcbsd64 »

gapan wrote:
pcbsd64 wrote:There isn't a problem. I created a USB stick with unetbootin from the Salix live XFCE iso image.
And your problem is right there. Unetbootin is not supported. You should not use it. See: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _a_USB_key
This what I get with unetbootin.

The steps to mount this after booting from it seem easier to me than the supported method.

chris[~]$ isohybrid salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso
/usr/bin/isohybrid: salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso: bootloader does not have a isolinux.bin hybrid signature.Note that isolinux-debug.bin does not support hybrid booting.
Is it possible to make a hybrid image for Salix installation? so that all one would need to do is

dd if=salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso of=/dev/sdb
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

pcbsd64 wrote:This what I get with unetbootin.
It doesn't matter what you get. It won't work with unetbootin. Follow the instructions in the wiki to have it working from a usb drive.
pcbsd64 wrote:Is it possible to make a hybrid image for Salix installation? so that all one would need to do is

dd if=salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso of=/dev/sdb
No, not at this point.