USB Stick not booting iso file

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Adys

Re: USB Stick not booting iso file

Post by Adys »

Atip wrote:After that misshap all partions and directories of that drive could be accessed. Only on reboot it gave kernel panic.
That's because most of the data is still there.

If you executed

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=4096
then only the first 2048KB of sdX was zeroed out. That's the first 4096 sectors, which include the MBR of sdX and probably the VBR of sdX1 and the first few KB of data. These are only assumptions, as your specific sdX's MBR might had had a different order in the partition table.

So, assuming those assumptions were to be correct, from sdX2 on, the data would be completely there, and for sdX1, you would need some recovery tools.

Of course, this is not related to your USB Stick issue.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Atip wrote: After that misshap all partions and directories of that drive could be accessed.
If you can boot from another drive on that machine you might be able to mount the drive with the broken partition table and copy everything that you want to keep.

You can try gparted to mount the drive then a file manager to copy directories.
ImageImage
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

If you can't access your data as suggested I'd recommend using TestDisk for partition table and/or data recovery. It's available as a slackbuild or probably easier to use it from one of the many rescue LiveCDs e.g. SystemRescueCd, Parted Magic. You must carefully read TestDisk's instructions for use...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Atip

Post by Atip »

knome wrote:If you can't access your data as suggested I'd recommend using TestDisk for partition table and/or data recovery. It's available as a slackbuild or probably easier to use it from one of the many rescue LiveCDs e.g. SystemRescueCd, Parted Magic. You must carefully read TestDisk's instructions for use...

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
knome, a million thanks! testdisk did the trick. I am now again in my working box of /dev/sdb.

I will toast to your health tonight.

Luckily I keep a mirror of my Salix box in /dev/sdb on /dev/sda keeping it quite current and made it now again for sure.

Needles to say that after the debacle with slackel I will skip your earlier suggestion how to make
a USB stick possibly work with slackellive. Enough is enough!

Regards