Gnome 3

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sanoj

Gnome 3

Post by sanoj »

Hi. I tried to install gnome 3 following this tutorial: How_to_install_Gnome_2.30_in_Salix_13.1, but changed the repository to 13.37.
Now when I login choosing gnome as the session I only get a blank desktop with a wallpaper. Did I miss something.

Thanks for a great distribution.
Atip

Re: Gnome 3

Post by Atip »

I tried it in my Salix XFCE4 testing partition and get the same as you reported.

In xfce4 on a terminal I gave in 'gnome-panel' which then duly shows, however, there is no menu.
It is blank and does not react. Only Places has action.

Then giving in a terminal 'gnome-session' I get a hundred errors and nothing shows.

The gist gnome does not seem to work this way. In another slacky distro I had once gnome 2.3
installed and it worked very well.

I used ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk:21/gsb/gsb-3 ... are-13.37/ and followed the instructions.
Atip

Post by Atip »

I did some further testing and it seems that the programs such as totem, epiphany, the players,
nautilus, etc are working properly. Only cheese did not show any picture.

gnome-panel and gnome-session are not working.

I personally would be most interested in gnome-panel which I prefer over others panels. Some
applets I like I can only find there.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That wiki guide is specifically for gnome 2.30. Gnome 3.0 includes many changes and things probably don't work the same way. I don't think there is a stable GSB 3.0 release so far either. So, no surprise it doesn't work.
sanoj

Post by sanoj »

Hello. I tried to install gnome again, now when they have released a new gsb-desktop 3.2 for slackware 13.37.
This time i got to the desktop but all the text looked like squares, and some applications failed to open for example system settings.
I used the fluxbox basic version and did all the updates before i installed gnome.

Is it possible to update the tutorial for gnome.

Thanks.
NicePics13

Post by NicePics13 »

Did run GNOME SlackBuild 3.0 when it came out but a simple seamonkeylibs update broke it for me :evil: Haven't tried 3.2 yet.
hugok

Post by hugok »

..just run stable if u don't want to be surprised.
Stable distro = Stable Desktop environment or Window manager
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79