Salix KDE 14.0RC2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix KDE 14.0RC2

Post by djemos »

Salix KDE 14.0RC2 is ready!

Here are the bugs that has been fixed since rc1.
* kresource-migration window pop-up. Fixed. Thanks to mimosa and aurlaent
* For those installing firefox after installation, having black information box with black text. Fixed. Firefox is now
black on a lovely pale blue background. Thanks to mimosa

Thanks to gapan for the following bugs.
* huge.s kernel is not included in iso. Only hugesmp.s kernel exists. Iso size (32 bit) is smaller.
* the desktop panel doesn't have a clock. Or a tray. When installing on virtual box. Fixed.
Now bottom panel size is rearranged according to screen resolution.
* kdm background image is darker than desktop image. Fixed.
* The /etc/skel/.xinitrc and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde files are not the same. Fixed.
* /etc/skel/.qupzilla directory. Removed.
* The default search engine in qupzilla is DuckDuckGo and not Google. Fixed.
* libsndfile moved to FULL list.
* libsoup, libgnome-keyring added on BASIC list.
* gtk+3 which is a dep for ibus, moved to FULL list.

A full installation has been done to a virtual box and everything worked fine. Panel is shown now with the clock.

Salix 14.0 includes the stable 14.0 tree of Slackware and KDE 4.8.5 accompanied by a very rich collection of KDE centric software. Linux kernel is 3.2.29. Qupzilla is the web browser, KMail and Ktorrent are the main networking applications included in this release, followed by Akregator, an RSS reader for KDE, Kopete, the KDE instant messenger and more. It comes also with Openjre-7u7, rhino, icedtea-web. Wicd is used for setting up your wired or wireless networking connections.

In the multimedia section Bangarang 2.1, Clementine 1.0.1, K3b 2.0.2 included. The Salix codecs installer application can be used, to quickly and easily install patent encumbered codecs to your system.

A wide variety of office applications are included. Calligra Words, Calligra Stage, Calligra Tables are the main office applications present while there are many more like KOrganizer, KAddressBook and the Okular document viewer.

In the graphics section Krita, Karbon, Gwenview, KColorChooser, KSnapshot.

The graphical Salix system tools are present too, making administrative tasks easy for everyone. Package management, as always, is done using slapt-get and its graphical frontend Gslapt. Sourcery graphical tool for managing and installing packages from SlackBuilds is included.

I want to thank all salix developers and packagers, including veterans too. Without their work this release could not be exist.
Also many thanks to gapan who developed the iso-creation scripts. Without them these installation dvd isos could not be done.

So, please download this release candidate and report any issues you may find. I am positive and hope this to be the final release.
For salix users. Please involve more people on testing. I am sure, you like salix and want new stable releases to come up.

You can download the iso images through Sourceforge using the following links:

Salix KDE 14.0RC2 32-bit:
(size: 911 MB, md5: dff349721e05d34dca272320dbea11bc)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix KDE 14.0RC2 64-bit:
(size: 913 MB, md5: 01700b51f787f47d8b1223837418cdd6)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Have fun!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix KDE 14.0RC2

Post by mimosa »

Thanks to djemos for this release. :D

I would like to underline his final point: please, test! The only way a release can become ready is if it receives wide testing for a variety of setups and use cases.

Any user can help. :p You do not have to be an advanced user. Just use it and report any trouble! And don't worry if it's safe to use. Alpha is not safe. Beta probably still has quite a few annoying bugs. RC (release candidate) should have hardly any.

If you don't have a spare partition, you can try it in a virtual machine (such as Virtulbox). It will be slower than a real installation of course. If you can do a real installation as well as better performance, it means better testing because any hardware problems are more likely to be picked up. But virtual testing is still very useful to improve the quality of the final reslease.

If you try it and find no bugs, please post here too and say what you think of it! :)
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

mimosa wrote:Thanks to djemos for this release. :D
I'd also like to thank djemos for all his work on this -- and any other Salix developers who helped. :) I downloaded the RC2 .iso and installed it to a spare partition this evening. (I'm posting this from QupZilla right now).
mimosa wrote:Any user can help. :p You do not have to be an advanced user. Just use it and report any trouble! And don't worry if it's safe to use. Alpha is not safe. Beta probably still has quite a few annoying bugs. RC (release candidate) should have hardly any.
Agreed ... the RC1 version didn't cause any problems on my system. I apologize for not posting any feedback. :oops: I installed it to the same partition where I now have RC2, and used it for almost one month. It ran reliably and smoothly on my hardware. The only minor problem I encountered was with Bangarang; even though I had all the multimedia codecs installed, I couldn't get the program to do much for me. (I figured it was due to my unfamiliarity with Bangarang, rather than a true bug). I installed VLC instead and it worked perfectly.

One possible issue that I've noticed thus far relates to the (reported) file size of the RC2 .iso. After downloading the file, I double-checked the md5sum and it was correct.

Dolphin showed a file size of 911.0 MB; however, when I finished burning the image to disc (a good-quality TDK DVD-R) with K3b (which rarely fails me), its "Success!" message indicated that 878 MB of 910.0 MB had been burned to disc. I assumed that this was just a quirk in K3b's reporting, and not a failed burn.

(The reason I'm mentioning this is because I had a similar experience with using K3b to burn the RC1 to disc. Prior to burning, I verified that the md5sum was correct. However, upon completing the burn (to a TDK DVD-R), K3b reported that it successfully burned 931 MB of 973 MB. This happened two times: once on my PCLinuxOS 32-bit installation, and once on a PCLinuxOS 64-bit system.

I don't believe this is a bad batch of TDK DVDs. I've recently used other discs from this same set, and had no problems with them.)

It's getting late, so I will have to quit for tonight. I will continue testing RC2 and report on my experiences.

Thanks again, djemos!
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
wayne

Post by wayne »

Just download the RC2 and tried installed onto a Desktop.

prepare usb flash with dd

during installation process, I notice a file showing error.. did not take note, sorry

went ahead to install, complete without error
then install codec, firefox, vlc as usual,
quick test on playing media via vlc, no issue.

now the issue, I tried to install AMD / ATI HD5450 graphic, following documentation,
the issue is, I could not install kernel-source and kernel-headers.. in gslapt package manager, I saw a lock and could not click to select.
perhaps it is corrupted during my downloading??

very nice to see KDE is so snappy..
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Install them from the command line using slapt-get:

as root,

Code: Select all

slapt-get -i (PACKAGES)
wayne

Post by wayne »

hello mimosa, thanks for the direction..

OK so I tried using terminal command, ignore the 'locks' on kernel-source and kernel-headers in Gslapt package manager...

typing commands out , because I might need to refer to it again.. :)

wayne@darkstar:~$ uname -r
3.2.29-smp
wayne@darkstar:~$ su
Password: 
root[wayne]# slapt-get -i kernel-source-3.2.29_smp-noarch-1
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kernel-source 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 65.3MB of archives.
After unpacking 445.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
1/1 Get http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-14.0/ kernel-source 3.2.29_smp-noarch-1 [65.3MB]...Done

Preparing to install kernel-source-3.2.29_smp-noarch-1
Installing package kernel-source-3.2.29_smp-noarch-1...

| 
| 
| 
Done

root[wayne]# slapt-get -i kernel-headers-3.2.29_smp-x86-1
Reading Package Lists...Done
kernel-headers is up to date.
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded.

Done

root[wayne]# cd Desktop
root[Desktop]# ls
amd-catalyst-13.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run  salix-kde-14.0rc2.iso
salix-irc-support.desktop               salix-online.desktop
root[Desktop]# sh amd-catalyst-13.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/Slackware
Slackware package /home/wayne/Desktop/fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz created.

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.czeYDQ

root[Desktop]# ls
amd-catalyst-13.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run  salix-kde-14.0rc2.iso
fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz                  salix-online.desktop
salix-irc-support.desktop
root[Desktop]# installpkg fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz
Verifying package fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz.
Installing package fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# fglrx (ATI proprietary drivers)

Package fglrx-12.104-x86-1.tgz installed.

root[Desktop]# nano /etc/fstab

just to check the /etc/fstab line per documentation, 
yes, this line is as per documentation
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

root[Desktop]# aticonfig --initial
No protocol specified
Uninitialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0
root[Desktop]# reboot

After reboot, check on terminal fglrxinfo, glx_gears and GPU temps, all seem good :)
wayne@darkstar:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5450
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104

wayne@darkstar:~$ fgl_glxgears
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
5587 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1117.400 FPS
6845 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1369.000 FPS
6232 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1246.400 FPS
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
after 49479 requests (49479 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
wayne@darkstar:~$ aticonfig --odgt

Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 5450
Sensor 0: Temperature - 57.00 C

Thanks a lot

more testing later..
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

@wayne and @gaucho Thanks you both for testing.

@salix users. About bangarang media player here it is two very small videos i made showing how to select and play media files. Or create lists.
Just click on media lists button on the bottom left, choose you files and play them.
Or after selecting your files right click with mouse and click from the menu "add to list" -> +New list and save your list.
Press F11 to go to Full screen. Press again F11 to return to normal.

Bangarang Video Presentation
Bangarang Lists Presentation
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello,

Tried a fresh install on Virtualbox, running after slapt-get --update&&upgrade. Here are my findings so far.

-slapt-get works correctly, but gslapt is not (tried to start it from kickoff menu, not opening)
-salix-codecs-installer not starting
-tried to install Vbox additions but kernel-headers package version seems not to be linked to the running kernel version (3.2.29-smp), so no fullscreen mode available.

Let me know if you need specific testing to be made.
Will come back if I find further issues.

Regards,
Antonio
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laplume wrote:-slapt-get works correctly, but gslapt is not (tried to start it from kickoff menu, not opening)
-salix-codecs-installer not starting
I'm not having any problems with these. What happens if you try to launch them from a terminal? (make sure you run "xhost +" as your user first)
laplume wrote:-tried to install Vbox additions but kernel-headers package version seems not to be linked to the running kernel version (3.2.29-smp), so no fullscreen mode available.
This should be fixed in the final release. I don't think there is much sense in making a 14.0 release now. We'll better make a 14.0.1 release with the updated 3.2.45 kernel.
daveh

Post by daveh »

Installed to an Asus X54-C laptop. (Core i3 64bit dual core, 6gb RAM, 60GB SSD drive).

Everything works.

Was beginning to wonder if there was ever going to be a SalixOS 14.0 KDE build. Right glad to see it finally. Congratulations.