Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 13:57 Congratulations to gapan for the very good work he has done. !!!!

1. I installed the 64bit alpha2 iso using Greek language in vmware. Everything went fine.
Just one note for the installer. This has to do with elilo package where the string in Greek "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του ELILO θα σας επιτρέπει να εκκινείτε το σύστημά σας με το Linux από τον σκληρό δίσκο, αφού πρώτα θα τον έχετε επιλέξει από το μενού εκκίνησης του UEFI. Επειδή εντοπίσθηκε μια Κατάτμηση Συστήματος EFI σε αυτό το μηχάνημα, συστήνεται να εγκαταστήσετε τον ELILO τώρα. Παρακαλώ κάντε μια επιλογή:"

because is big appeared as "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του"
without the rest. It is not worth but i just mention it.
Oh, I hadn't noticed. Thanks for the heads up!
djemos wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 13:57 I like to make two suggestions.
1. Get the pasystray package compiled for salix-15.0 and include it in iso. So the volume icon will appeared in the panel and user easily can control the sound.

2. Get also the fbxkb package also compiled for salix-15.0 and include it in iso. So the keyboard US flag will appeared in the panel and user with alt_shift will go to Greek and Greek flag will show.
xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and xfce4-xkb-plugin are already in the iso. You can add them in the xfce panel whenever you want.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 15:28 I went with ELILO, of course, and added a boot menu entry. The alpha now boots as the default, but the other entries are still there and work correctly. It would be good to have a custom rEFInd package on the iso (maybe it is, I will have a look).
Try installing a Salix 14.2 refind package (https://people.salixos.org/laprjns/refind/0.10.3/). Its working here without problems. Dual booting with Windows 11.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
ibka

Post by ibka »

gapan wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 22:52 I think I may have fixed the issues with gtkhostname. I have just uploaded a new salixtools-gtk-2.4.0 package. You should be able to get it once mirrors sync. Please report back if you try it out.
Hi
Just updated salixtools-gtk to 2.4.0 and it don't work.
After changing the hostname i can't start any applications. I need to log out and then log in again.

Regarding my issue with mouse settings i found that it also needs a log out and log in for the settings to take.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ibka wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 06:10 Hi
After changing the hostname i can't start any applications. I need to log out and then log in again.
Can you give me more info on your setup? It works here and I'm wondering what's different.

Here, it will break if you use the hostname command line tool to change the hostname, but gtkhostsetup does not do that.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and xfce4-xkb-plugin are already in the iso. You can add them in the xfce panel whenever you want.
Ah, yes. Sorry. I had forgot that user can add apps to xfce panel. :-)
ibka

Post by ibka »

gapan wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 06:53
ibka wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 06:10 Hi
Can you give me more info on your setup? It works here and I'm wondering what's different.

Here, it will break if you use the hostname command line tool to change the hostname, but gtkhostsetup does not do that.
Installation on a 64-bit computer
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz x 8
RAM: 7,6 GiB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (1,5GiB)

* 64-bit ISO
* Bios
* Swedish
* Full installation

I have installed all updates that exists.
I have installed Swedish language for libreoffice
I have installed the Whisker menu

I haven't used the command line tool, it was the gtkhostsetup i used
I don't know what more information i can give you that could help, if you have any idea of what information you need let me know.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 13:57 1. I installed the 64bit alpha2 iso using Greek language in vmware. Everything went fine.
Just one note for the installer. This has to do with elilo package where the string in Greek "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του ELILO θα σας επιτρέπει να εκκινείτε το σύστημά σας με το Linux από τον σκληρό δίσκο, αφού πρώτα θα τον έχετε επιλέξει από το μενού εκκίνησης του UEFI. Επειδή εντοπίσθηκε μια Κατάτμηση Συστήματος EFI σε αυτό το μηχάνημα, συστήνεται να εγκαταστήσετε τον ELILO τώρα. Παρακαλώ κάντε μια επιλογή:"

because is big appeared as "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του"
without the rest. It is not worth but i just mention it.
I just tried it and can't see the problem.

See this screenshot:
https://people.salixos.org/gapan/elilo/elilo_gr.png
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

laprjns wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 00:39 Try installing a Salix 14.2 refind package (https://people.salixos.org/laprjns/refind/0.10.3/). Its working here without problems. Dual booting with Windows 11.
Thanks laprjns! But I'm not quite there! I see this message:
Installing it!

ALERT: There were problems running the efibootmgr program! You may need to
rename the refind_x64.efi binary to the default name (EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
on x86-64 systems, EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi on x86 systems, or
EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi on ARM64 systems) to have it run!
I tried renaming /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi both as suggested, and also as elilo.efi, which is what's in the other directories.

Code: Select all

mimosa[~]$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/refind/
boot64.efi  drivers_x64  elilo.efi  icons  keys  refind.conf  refind_x64.efi  tools_x64
mimosa[~]$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Xfce-15.0/
elilo.conf  elilo.efi  vmlinuz
The only thing I haven't tried is that path EFI/BOOT which has got to be wrong!

On booting, I see the various Slackware/Salix 15 options corresponding to the installed systems, but no entry for refind.
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Hello,

I don't download the iso, just the salix64-xfce-15.0alpha2.pkglist file.
I see polkit-gnome-0.105-x86_64-4.txz, when i install polkit-gnome on salix 14.2 I had to edit my /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/ without this, pkexec gave root rights to user.

Code: Select all

/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/20-plugdev-group-mount-override.rules
/* http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/udisks-polkit-actions.html */

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount" &&
        subject.isInGroup("plugdev")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system" ||
         action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount") &&
        subject.isInGroup("wheel")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});

/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/49-nopasswd_global.rules
/* Allow members of the wheel group to execute any actions
 * without password authentication, similar to "sudo NOPASSWD:"
 * polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
 *     if (subject.isInGroup("wheel")) {
 *        return polkit.Result.YES;
 *     }
 * }); */

/* Allow members of the polkitd group to execute any actions
 * without password authentication, similar to "sudo NOPASSWD:"
 * polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
 *     if (subject.isInGroup("polkitd")) {
 *         return polkit.Result.YES;
 *     }
 *}); */
if this can help you.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Is anyone else experiencing X server crashes? I have had those with my Slackware 15 installation too, and thought it could be a hardware problem. But it just happened again, and for the first time, I saw a relevant message (unfortunately I didn't write it down) something about consolekit and Freedesktop and no .service. I logged in on tty1 and 'startx', and then I couldn't get back to where I could see the message.