simple-scan gives libphoto2 error

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
anttel
Donor

simple-scan gives libphoto2 error

Post by anttel »

Hi,
Last week I upgraded my salix 13.37 fluxbox to salix 14. Now I've got a problem with simple-scan. Starting simple-scan in a terminal gives met the next message and simple-scan doesn't start: "simple-scan: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

libphoto2 is installed

How can I solve this? Your help is much appreciated
Best regards,
anttel
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: simple-scan gives libphoto2 error

Post by mimosa »

This isn't a real solution but an ugly hack you could try that may well solve this is to put a symlink

(as root):

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.6
or in /usr/lib64 if you are in x86_64

If it doesn't work, or if you fix this properly, remember to remove it :)

Perhaps before trying that, just make sure libgphoto is up to date with gslapt.
anttel
Donor

Post by anttel »

Hello mimosa,
Thanks for the quick response. Libphoto is up to date. I made the ln and got a message about:
libphoto2_port.so.10...
How can I remove a ln?
Thanks
anttel

I tried to unlink with:

unlink /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so

it appears to work this way?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

anttel wrote:I tried to unlink with:

unlink /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so

it appears to work this way?
Yes, you can use unlink or rm. Both work.
anttel wrote:. Starting simple-scan in a terminal gives met the next message and simple-scan doesn't start: "simple-scan: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Which version of simple-scan are you trying to run? It looks like it's asking for the version of libgphoto2 that's available from current, which is libgphoto2-2.5.2. This version of libgphoto2 installs libgphoto.so.6 and libgphoto_port.so.10
The version of simple-scan available form the Salix 14.0 repo is 2.32.0 which uses libgphoto2 version 2.4.14.

If you have a version of simple-scan other than what's available in the repo, then I would suggest that you install the repo version by doing:
slapt-get -i simple-scan.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
anttel
Donor

Post by anttel »

Hi Laprnjs,
Ah, I think I get it! I use a canoscan lide 700 f flatbedscanner. It needs sane 1.0.23 (version in 14.0 is 1.0.22) to work. So I installed sane1.0.24 from current. Now this is where I went wrong I suppose. My "solution": install libphoto2 libsntp and libc form the current repo. Now xsane works, simple-scan scans just the half of the page and gave the first time a segfault error...I hope this all doesn't affect the rest of my system....?
Thanks for the help.

Does this by the way mean that I could best "upgrade" my whole system to current or am I losing the right track here?

Best regards,
anttel
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You don't want to be messing with glibc. It is liable to break everything.

I've experienced problems with simplescan too (though not quite the same). You might have better luck with Slackel (which is basically Salix with current): try Live USB to see.

I'd still recommend going back to the symlink hack: but you need one for the file that generated the second message, too. It might not work, but it is easy to remove in that case.

Assuming you didn't blacklist glibc etc, you can hopefully revert to the standard libraries just by doing a general package upgrade. Best do this *before* rebooting.

EDIT You probably need to revert the glibc package manually, because (I am pretty sure) it is excluded by default.

So if you want to give it another go:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so /usr/lib/libgphoto2.so.6
ln -s /usr/lib/libgphoto_port.so /usr/lib/libgphoto2_port.so.10
.... and just remove them if that doesn't work.
Last edited by mimosa on 20. Oct 2013, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

anttel wrote:Does this by the way mean that I could best "upgrade" my whole system to current or am I losing the right track here?
No i don't think you want to do that. It will most likely break a lot more things. Slackware current is currentlly RC1 for Slackware 14.1, so they should be releaseing 14.1 soon. You can assume that there will be s Salix 14.1 coming out sometime after. I would wait until then and live with what you've got working now.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"