In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE beta1

djemos
Salix Warrior

In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE beta1

Post by djemos »

After more than two months of developing trying to build various live system's for current tree and stable tree of slackware as well,
digging on SaLT, liveclone and salix-live-installer, livekernel creation on latest slackware kernels also, testing and improving a lot of little details, this xfce live beta1 version is available in both 32 and 64 bits.

A lot of problems, there were times, i said, i will give up but then, i took it personally and solved all problems so here it is xfce 14.0 live beta1 edition.
I made this xfce live edition for my personal use and make it public, in case it is useful for others too. After all this is open source. It is not official. Considering as just a beta live dvd.

This live xfce beta1 could not be done without the work of all salix developers, packagers , translators and contributors. So many thanks to all of them.

This version is build using SaLT (Salix Live Technology) developed in house by JRD in order to build Live CDs in a more dynamic fashion with very little modifications from the host system.

This includes the same applications and packages as the regular Salix Xfce 14.0, 32 or 64 bits, with the following additions:
isomaster, for managing ISO files;
gparted, for managing partitions;
grub2-1.99 for a beautiful boot menu and options;
lilosetup, to repair a failed lilo boot setup;

liveclone 0.12.14.0, for creating your own custom live CD/USB;
liveclone has been updated to work with new SaLT.
Has been tested on creation of live usb-stick and is working fine.
source code is here

persistence-wizard, for creating a persistence file in order to keep changes upon reboot in the live environment;
remmina, for connecting to RDP server (like Windows or VirtualBox 4+), VNC server, NX server, SSH/SCP;

salix-live-installer 0.4.1, for installing Salix on a hard disk. The version 0.3 has been used as base and has been written using other python statements to work with the future versions of slackware (this is because of parted new version on current tree) and also has backwards compatibility with 14.0 stable tree.
Salix-live-installer, crashed in the step of setting keyboard, has been fixed. This is because of ktsuss. Kdesu and gksu are working fine and installation always succeeded. So a trick is used. libgtop, libgksu, gksu packages compiled and added on packages-live to be used on the live environment but they are not installed during installation.
After installation ktsuss only exists so livedvd is fully compatible with installation cd.
salix-live-installer has been tested and is working fine.
source code is here

xorriso is used to make the live iso. Liveiso is hybrid. You can use dd method or install-on-USB or liveclone to create a live usb.

Note: Busybox has been compiled with CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_NFS=n otherwise cannot build.
So, check if initextra-xfce-14.0-32-beta1.xz and initextra-xfce-14.0-64-beta1.xz are working.
To boot Salix Live in PXE, please consult this documention.

(Note for the future releases : Initrd on SaLT for the next version of slackware not in this version 14.0, has to be corrected because of new kernels.
ehci-hcd module of latest kernels has been split to two modules (ehci-hcd and ehci-pci). So ehci-pci has to added on initrd also, otherwise iso cannot boot from USB.)

The default root password is live
You don't need a password for the regular and auto-logged in user one

You can download iso files from the following links:

Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta1 (32 bit)
32 bits ISO (770 MB) — MD5 checksum: c8a71de05d568617be0f25b95af03e57
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 32 bits PXE booting (5,9MB): — MD5 checksum: 6bad6904138795f99eea9d3c718be658
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta1 (64 bit)
64 bits ISO (787 MB) — MD5 checksum: e7bd316e9467f4eab22e4ca15226844e
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 64 bits PXE booting (6,6 MB) — MD5 checksum: 5b86abfc1d57f0ee71ce16e185b7828c
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

You can consult the Startup Guide for more information on Salix and Salix Live.

If you want to boot Salix Live through USB, please consult this documentation.

Note: For those who experience some display problem during the boot process you can try adding the following cheatcode with this procedure:
Reboot
At the Grub launch menu, go to Change boot options.
Select Custom linux kernel parameters
Enter nomodeset
Go back to the launch screen and boot
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE be

Post by mimosa »

Many thanks to djemos, JRD and all others involved for this beta release. :D

Please test and report any problems here with as much detail as possible, especially booting trouble.

It would be great if someone could put up torrents for these.
antmon

Post by antmon »

You have my THANKS!
Atip

Post by Atip »

I have not tested this version and I am writing of the problem I have with slackellive to make a USB stick boot, the latest version tested slackellive-openbox-3.1-32.iso. I assume that the architecture is the same and that i will encounter the same problem with this SalixLive.

After following strictly all the instruction how to make a boot-able USB stick it does not work with my desktop PC which is less than 2 years old. The boot process hangs forever.

I took now some pictures which might shed some light to this problem and uploaded them to:
http://imageshack.us/g/4/slacklive1.jpg/

There are 2 pictures. The first shows where the boot process stops. The second picture shows a few lines after the stop when I have pressed [Enter]. It then stops until I press [Enter] again which can be seen on the higher numbers on the left site.

My system works well. I can boot SalixLive-Fluxbox from a USB stick as well as other Linux distros. I have tried several sticks and bought now a new one for this slackellive just to be sure. It does not matter if I use the cloning from a live DVD or "sh install-on-USB.sh" it will not work. I must have spent now quite a few days trying to make booting from a stick work all to no avail.

I just hope those pictures will help to find a solution.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

slackelive-openbox has different kernel than salixlive-xfce.
Please test salixlive-xfce as here this forum is about salixlive-xfce.
I had no problem on my testing booting from usb. Lets wait other users also tried booting from usb and report about it.
Do you have external disks connected on usb port? Can you describe your system what disks or other devices are connected?
i see strange messages like insert floppy and press enter and usb disconnected. It is usb first boot device on bios?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Booting from USB works ok here.

I have had one problem with Brasero that is probably nothing to do with live: when copying a disk to an image, it refuses because there is not enough space, but won't let me choose another drive.

There also appears to be a problem with persistent storage. I installed a few things, did a general upgrade, and at a certain point (installing qt, I wanted to try k3b) slapt-get stopped working. I then find that

Code: Select all

mount
shows nothing mounted as /, and df refuses to work:

df: no file systems processed
Again, I suspect this isn't a problem with the beta. I have had trouble with persistence before when installing or upgrading a lot. Maybe it is a hardare fault (it's not no space, because I chose 2.5G).
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

There is a limit of space on live environment. And it is for sure less than 700MB.
So when use persistence and save or change a lot of MB have problems because of out of space. If you do a df -ah you will see that there are no bytes left on free live space.

Also another issue maybe someone have, about Brasero can't detect cd/dvd
To solve this,
open an xterm
become root by typing

su
geany /etc/fstab

add on the end (in one line)

/dev/sr0 /media/dvd auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0 
if you have two dvd-rw devices, add also the next line (it is one line)

/dev/sr1 /media/dvd1 auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0 
Save the /etc/fstab file
Open Brasero. It will see your dvd-rw as dvd or dvd1 if you have two.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos. Regarding the space issue, should it be solved by rebooting (and upgrade or install some more)? Because I don't think it did.

Unfortunately I can't test much because my normal machine (which has Slackel ;) doesn't like the 14.0 kernel.

I'll try editing /etc/fstab, too.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I have not used the persistence. I don't talk about persistence space. I am talking about space on memory livecd can used.
I mean that just try to install more and more packages. Then you will left out of space on memory.
Maybe i am wrong but i think is has something to do with it. When you upgrade packages or install new ones they are stored on /var/slapt-get/ which points on live dvd area.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Earlier today I sent a reaction with thanks and congratulations, but I don't find it here, So I guess something went wrong.

Wish to repeat that I did a frugal install and that up to now everything works as expected.

Wish to repeat as well that a Salix 14.0 XFCE LiveCd is very useful.