Does Sourcery Slackbuild Manager actually work?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
hakerdefo

Re: Does Sourcery Slackbuild Manager actually work?

Post by hakerdefo »

Tim CowChip wrote: in any case you may want to try a tool that was created by and for the Slackbuild.org user community. Sbopkg
Thanks Tim for this info! I didn't know that Sourcery repos were not in constant sync with slackbuilds repos! That's why BleachBit didn't show any updates in Sourcery! I tried Sbopkg and i loved it! Great little tool! Thanks again!
Cheers!!!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Does Sourcery Slackbuild Manager actually work?

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for your excellent post laprjns. I think it explains the situation very well.

I came back to this thread to say that the problem here is dependencies, and it is an inherent limitation in slackbuilds.com as a resource that not every case will be covered, but a bit of fiddling will generally get you there. No more need! Anyway, on balance, I do think it is a great resource. As in the example of gpodder, sometimes a more up to date vesion of a given application may be found there.

Regarding the space issue, unless you install something really big, like libreoffice or vlc, you should be ok. Most applications take up megabytes at most, but for instance, if you installed vlc it pulls in qt which is about 70MB if I remember correctly. That is in Salix repos rather than slackbuilds, but the principle is the same. The applications in salix repos are just as likely to have dependencies as slackbuilds. They may or may not have unmet deps in either case but with the salix repos you are guaranteed that they in turn will be present in the repos so it isnt a salient issue.

If you do get really short of space try and find a dinosaur to shoot. Libreoffice is a good candidate if you can make do with lighter apps such as abiword and gnumeric, but I know I couldnt.

Another consideration is that even before you run out, being low on space makes your filesystem inefficient. Ideally, its good to have plenty of room, but Salix will of course still run in less if need be.