Salix KDE 14.0RC1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix KDE 14.0RC1

Post by djemos »

Salix KDE 14.0RC1 is ready! We are getting close to a final release.

Salix 14.0 includes the stable 14.0 tree of Slackware and KDE 4.8.5 accompanied by a very rich collection of KDE centric software. Linux kernel is 3.2.29. Qupzilla is the web browser, KMail and Ktorrent are the main networking applications included in this release, followed by Akregator, an RSS reader for KDE, Kopete, the KDE instant messenger and more. It comes also with Openjre-7u7, rhino, icedtea-web. Wicd is used for setting up your wired or wireless networking connections.

In the multimedia section Bangarang 2.1, Clementine 1.0.1, K3b 2.0.2 included. The Salix codecs installer application can be used, to quickly and easily install patent encumbered codecs to your system.

A wide variety of office applications are included. Calligra Words, Calligra Stage, Calligra Tables are the main office applications present while there are many more like KOrganizer, KAddressBook and the Okular document viewer.

In the graphics section Krita, Karbon, Gwenview, KColorChooser, KSnapshot.

The graphical Salix system tools are present too, making administrative tasks easy for everyone. Package management, as always, is done using slapt-get and its graphical frontend Gslapt. Sourcery graphical tool for managing and installing packages from SlackBuilds is included.

In 32 bit iso image there is support for old CPU's.

Changes are from beta1 release:
The following bugs that has been reported by users has been fixed.
libiodbc added (needed by nepomuk)
mozilla-firefox entry in the favorite has been removed.
The qupzilla homepage is set to http://salixos.org/start

So, please download this release candidate and report any issues you may find. Hopefully there are none. You can download the iso images through Sourceforge using the following links:

32-bit:
(size: 973 MB, md5: af28276e298841621c54baacca42b5bc )
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

64-bit:
(size: 915 MB, md5: db2dbf2f24416603682f49dc1a5e9665 )
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Thanks for testing!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix KDE 14.0RC1

Post by mimosa »

Great to see it's nearly there!

The more people who test this, the greater the chance of catching any remaining bugs, so please do download it and give it a spin on your spare partition.

As ever, it woud be useful for users with poor internet connections (as well as being a more robust form of download, excluding the possibility of a bad download) if someone could put up some torrents. :)
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

I would love to help if I could. But my test computer won't boot from a DVD, only a CD. I wonder if there is a way to fix that so I can help out?
Another totally Salixified customer!
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

But my test computer won't boot from a DVD, only a CD. I wonder if there is a way to fix that so I can help out?
Can you boot from a flash drive? If so, this link may be helpful. http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/I ... _USB_stick

Another possible option would be VirtualBox.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Those are both good options - especially VB, for anyone without a spare partition. However, please do a real install if you can, because it is more likely to reveal bugs! Also, it will run faster.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

f.bluedevil wrote:
But my test computer won't boot from a DVD, only a CD. I wonder if there is a way to fix that so I can help out?
Can you boot from a flash drive? If so, this link may be helpful. http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/I ... _USB_stick

Another possible option would be VirtualBox.
The iso image is built with isohybrid technology. You can also just use the dd command, or similar software in other platforms, to copy the image directly to your USB drive.

Code: Select all

dd if=salix-kde-14.0rc1.iso of=/dev/sdc
provided the iso file is present in the current directory and your USB drive is /dev/sdc
WARNING: Make absolutely sure you know which device corresponds to your USB drive. In the above example, it is /dev/sdc, it could probably be different in any other case. You could potentially lose all data in your hard drives if you use the wrong device name.
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

When I hit F12 during boot-up, my computer offers a choice of boot options, but "boot from USB device" is not among them. And while my computer can play DVD (movies), it refuses to boot from a DVD. It likes CDs though. I have no idea why. But I'd love to change that, so I can at least boot from a DVD, but prefereably from a USB drive!
Another totally Salixified customer!
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi
Here are some notes and a few screenshots from my test of Salix 14.0 KDE RC1.

While overall,things were pretty stable, several KDE programs crashed (see screenshots in file). Krita crashed twice on two different images before I started taking screenshots. http://www.shanek54.co.uk/salix/NotesKDERC1.odt

All in all, KDE made me want to get back to Xfce4 as soon as possible :-)

I probably won't use this again unless there is something specific you want me to check. (or you get a new release candidate)

Regards,
Shane
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

shanek54 wrote:Hi
Here are some notes and a few screenshots from my test of Salix 14.0 KDE RC1.

While overall,things were pretty stable, several KDE programs crashed (see screenshots in file). Krita crashed twice on two different images before I started taking screenshots. http://www.shanek54.co.uk/salix/NotesKDERC1.odt

All in all, KDE made me want to get back to Xfce4 as soon as possible :-)

I probably won't use this again unless there is something specific you want me to check. (or you get a new release candidate)

Regards,
Shane
Krita works fine here on Salix 14.0 KDE RC1 installed on a virtualbox. Taking photo's with wxcam on .tif format and opened with krita and making differrent actions change colors etc and saving the new photo's krita never crashed.
Calligra Words also works fine opened your odt file editing it saving it. Create new documents and saving them i never saw any crash.
Kmail works fine. setting a new imap account, get messages, send messages. No crash happened.
KDE has kontact and kmail. Kontact touch (ktouch) is part of kontact as also kmail, kaddress. Kontact is Personal Information manager for kde.

Did you make a clean install or you had a previous home folder from a previous installation?
I did not saw any crashes here. Another user can check also and report.

I wrote this message from salix-14.0 KDE RC1 fresh installation.
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi djemos,
It was a clean install on a newly formatted partition.

I'm pleased that it works flawlessly for you. I (as far as I know) didn't do anything a new user (and I am a new user to KDE4 - my KDE experience stopped with the last 2.X branch) wouldn't do.
The point is these crashes happened - that's why I included the screenshots (taken with the screen capture utility, and saved in Calligra word ).
The crashes didn't kill the system, only the running app, so for me not a big deal, but I can imagine a new user (or someone moving to Salix) would be a bit disappointed.

For your information, the hardware is a Dell Latitude laptop with and AMD Turion x2 processor and 2G ram. It has a 250g SSD installed, and Salix KDERC1 was instralled on an unused 100G partition I use for testing things out. It was formatted to ext4, lilo was put on the partiton root, and in all respects the install went flawlessly. This same machine runs Salix 14.0 Xcfe4 version (64bit) without issue ( unless I do something silly :-) )

I'm sorry that the results are not what you expected, but you did ask for testing.

I will install again on different hardware and run through some of the same things again, but I really don't think the hardware is at fault...

As to the questions, probably my ignorance of the way KDE is structured these days.

Regards,
Shane