Salix Openbox 14.0beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Openbox 14.0beta2

Post by djemos »

Hi everyone! Here is Salix Openbox 14.0beta2 release.
Salix Openbox 14.0beta2  includes the  latest updates from Slackware -14.0 and Openbox 3.5.0 accompanied by a very rich collection of software. Linux kernel is 3.2.29. The Midori 0.4.7 web browser, Claws-Mail 3.8.1 and Transmission are the main networking applications included in this release. SpaceFm is the file manager. It comes also with Openjre-7u9, rhino, icedtea-web, Pidgin and Gftp. Wicd is used for setting up your wired or wireless networking connections.

It is simple to install now printers share on network with just a mouse click. Just run system-config-printer and Salix openbox will detect them and setup them with a mouse click, thanks to pysmbc package.
Mount samba shares are also easy through SpaceFm file manager. Just copy as root /etc/samba/smb.conf-sample to /etc/samba/smb.conf and start samba.

Abiword, Gnumeric and ePDFviewer office applications are included. Whaawmp is the default movie player,Exaile 3.3.0 is the application to use for managing your music collection, Asunder Cd ripper, Bracero for writing CD/DVD’s and more. The Salix codecs installer application can be used, to quickly and easily install patent encumbered codecs to your system.

In the graphics section Viewnior 1.3 is the default image viewer, Gimp 2.8.2 for editing images and Scrot the snapshot utility.

On Salix repositories can find also Openjdk-7u9, LibreOffice-4.0.0.3, Thunderbird, Firefox ,inkscape,  Μumble, Μurmur, Postfix, Dovecot and much more.

More software choices are available in the form of SlackBuild scripts and users can have automated access to these SlackBuilds using either slapt-src from the command line or Sourcery graphical management tool.

After installation open as root /etc/fstab and add the following lines on the end if you have two dvd drives.
/dev/sr0 /media/dvd auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/sr1 /media/dvd1 auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
to make brasero detect blank cd/dvd's

On this 32-bit version, there are both SMP (multiple processor capable) and non-SMP (single processor) kernels. The non-SMP kernel is mostly intended for machines that can’t run the SMP kernel, which is anything older than a Pentium III, and some models of the Pentium M that don’t support PAE. It is highly recommended to use the SMP kernel if your machine is able to boot with it (even if you have only a single core) because the optimization and memory handling options should yield better performance. 

You can download all Salix Openbox 14.0beta2 iso images from the following link, using the Sourceforge servers.

Salix Openbox 14.0beta2 (32-bit) installation image
(size: 649MB,md5: e4a4766d72df344e6878b44dbbdbd4f3)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Many thanks to all the developers and packagers and quality package testers. Without them this release could not be done.

Some screenshots

Thanks for testing.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Openbox 14.0beta2

Post by mimosa »

Torrent available here:

http://torrentbox.com/download/1828356/ ... so.torrent

Don't forget to seed as much as you can after completing the download :)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Thanks for the good work @djemos .
OpenBox as always is an elegant DE .
I have it added it to my Wheezy install having been introduced to it a few years back with CrunchBang. Second to Xfce OpenBox is my favorite DE.
I have been too lazy to set it up with Salix... heh heh

To those who have never experienced OpenBox.
I suggest that others give OB a look. Not that intuitive to set up but it is to use, also lightweight and quick. Not many examples available of a ready to use OpenBox are ready to download. Expecially as a Slack.

I will definitely Download a copy.. 8-)
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Very pleased using Slackel Openbox, though I'm still checking for a good OB user reference. Just for example, ObConf allows setting most things except the overall default text font. Wondering whether that should be done via lower-level GTK+ configuration. UPDATE: This specific question is answered in my follow-up post below...

More importantly though, I'd like a reference where I can find answers to such questions myself. Have poked pretty deeply through the < openbox.org > site.

For context, I switched to Fluxbox from KDE 3.x years ago. Lately have also been using XFCE and Openbox. If there are settings available through a GUI, I'd prefer to use them, rather than just playing dangerous by using my Fluxbox / GTK+ experience.
Last edited by jayseye on 24. Feb 2013, 07:10, edited 2 times in total.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Found the answer to my specific question about the Openbox default font. At least in Slackel, it's cleverly hidden in the Widget tab of lxappearance, reached via the Main Menu > Settings > Customize Look And Feel.

With the current (un-captioned) Theme highlighted in the left-hand pane, the right-hand pane displays a Preview of the selected widget style. Below that, the Default font: drop-down is actually a live control, rather than a dummy Preview! :roll:

Still, more importantly, is this documented anywhere that a normal user might easily find it? :?: As a related question, are LXDE utilities normally used with Openbox in any official / documented way? :?:

Thanks for any insight, preferably with a link included! :grin:

Yet another UPDATE: Found this useful-seeming guide from a 3rd party: < https://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/ >. This was the only really relevant search result, after Quacking and Googling at openbox.org which turned up empty.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

It is good to exist a guide for salix openbox. I don't have time to do this at this period of time.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Which panel are you using?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

If you talk to me i use fbpanel. So tint2 can be removed from menus.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

thenktor wrote:Which panel are you using?
Echoing the answer from djemos, I'm using the fbpanel which comes with Slackel Openbox Edition. I tend to stay with the stock settings, except for making fonts larger.

Based on folks' comments here and on salix-main, Slackel is probably more similar to, than different from, Salix Openbox Beta. (Main difference, of course, is that Slackel is based on Slackware -current rather than 14.)
Atip

Post by Atip »

Epson LQ-300 24 pin printer. After printing a file printer does not advance to next page and hangs. :(

Last lines of Error.log

Code: Select all

D [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] cupsdCloseClient: 12
D [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Dirty files"
D [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] cupsdDeregisterPrinter(p=0xb839f488(Epson-300), removeit=1)
I [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] Generating printcap /etc/printcap...
I [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] Saving subscriptions.conf...
D [26/Feb/2013:10:33:59 +0800] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Not busy", busy="Dirty files"