Re: Salix Xfce 14.0RC1

Post by mimosa »

Must be a local problem, then. Thanks loukingjr
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

mimosa wrote:Must be a local problem, then. Thanks loukingjr
Welcome
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Indeed, it works with rtorrent. I was using Transmission, and I think it didn't like Privoxy.

When I tried to changes the relevant settings, it complained about the absence of

gnome-network-properties

I should say this is in 13.37, but if it's because it shoud be the equivalent maté thingummy, maybe it also needs fixing in current?
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks for this detail, mimosa. The beta torrent had failed for me using Transmission, so I had to test several SourceForge Mirrors until I was able to download that way.

Now I may have time to test getting the RC today, and will check first using Transmission under Fluxbox 13.37. Just out of curiosity, are you located in the USA?

I had wondered if location was a factor preventing me from getting the beta via the original torrent. As we mentioned before, I had tested your secondary beta torrent, and that had worked via Transmission.

Sorry that I've forgotten your whereabouts, have been away from this Forum for almost a year while exploring Google Plus. I'd go back and check past posts, but am fighting a migraine today, so have limited capacity.
mimosa wrote:Indeed, it works with rtorrent. I was using Transmission, and I think it didn't like Privoxy.

When I tried to changes the relevant settings, it complained about the absence of

gnome-network-properties

I should say this is in 13.37, but if it's because it shoud be the equivalent maté thingummy, maybe it also needs fixing in current?
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

gapan wrote:This seems to be a problem specific to virtualbox for some reason. And very specific versions of virtualbox too. I have version 4.1.18 and it works fine. Also isos works fine in real PCs and also under qemu too.
I think I may have found the problem. I had been trying to use "AutoInstall" this whole time. I decided to just try installing manually and it installed just fine. I think there may be a typo in the autoinstall script because the name of the very first file it tried to install and failed on "*.t?z", made no sense.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That's it! You found the problem. Autoinstall is broken in RC1. I don't remember touching anything about it in the installer though. I'll have to dig to see what's causing this. Thank you!
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

gapan wrote:That's it! You found the problem. Autoinstall is broken in RC1. I don't remember touching anything about it in the installer though. I'll have to dig to see what's causing this. Thank you!
you're most welcome :) glad to help
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Indeed, it works with rtorrent. I was using Transmission, and I think it didn't like Privoxy.

gnome-network-properties

What settings would that be? In transmission?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ Jayseye: Brazil

@gapan

Edit / Preferences / Network / Edit Gnome proxy settings

... clicking that button gives the message. I just wondered if it should now be maté (or if it or the bundle it belongs to should be a dependency of Transmission). I haven't tested it in current, but it's the sort of thing that could well slip through.

I don't know whether Privoxy was even the cause or whether that would have been the solution, it was just something I came across while investigating. Then I decided to stop being lazy and look up how to use rtorrent, which I'd forgotten; I love the application, but it's been a while since I've used any torrent client much.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Transmission currently reports 0 seeders for the 32-bit iso, though it's free of any error messages. Guess I'll try SourceForge again for downloads. (Using Fluxbox 13.37.)