New To Salix

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
kc1di

New To Salix

Post by kc1di »

Just thought I'd say Hello,
firs time Salix user here.
but have used slackware before the install went very well and I'm finding my way around.
Looks very good so far.
Think I will enjoy Salix.
Thanks to all the Dev's :)
Dave
Living somewhere in Maine, USA
Registered Linux User #462608
gaucho
Donor

Re: New To Salix

Post by gaucho »

Hi, kc1di,

I recognized your call sign from the PCLinuxOS Forums and thought I'd say "Welcome aboard". :) I hope you'll enjoy using Salix.

I've been using several versions of Salix OS (first, 13.1 Xfce, now 13.37 LXDE on my desktop PC and 13.37 KDE on my netbook) and found all of them to be rock-solid stable. There are regular security fixes / updates, but mostly my systems just keep humming along and I can concentrate on getting my work done. I'm grateful I discovered Salix because I think it's something of a well-kept secret in the Linux ecosystem ...

In case you haven't seen the online documentation, you might want to check out these links:

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... rtup_Guide

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Category:FAQ

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/C ... umentation

The forum is a friendly place and the devs hang out here, so if you run into a problem, someone should be able to help you.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
kc1di

Post by kc1di »

Thanks for the Welcome gaucho,

I'll read over the links you gave. I've used about every distro out there over the years Started out way back in 1993 with Slackware believe it or not and
so this is a coming back to that of sorts Find Salix OS very easy to learn and get going. Have got one machine up and working on it so far will try others as I have the time.

had to do a bit of reading as I couldn't remember how to do a program install with a slack build , but finally got that working last night also.
Again Thanks and I agree Salix seems to be a well kept secret.
Cheers!
Dave
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hi Dave,

have fun with Salix 8-)
kc1di wrote:had to do a bit of reading as I couldn't remember how to do a program install with a slack build , but finally got that working last night also.
Did you already find slapt-src and sourcery?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
kc1di

Post by kc1di »

thenktor wrote:Hi Dave,

have fun with Salix 8-)
kc1di wrote:had to do a bit of reading as I couldn't remember how to do a program install with a slack build , but finally got that working last night also.
Did you already find slapt-src and sourcery?
no didn't yet but will look that up Thanks - Dave
Dave
hugok

Post by hugok »

Welcome Dave.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Hi, Dave -

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest, hope the hurricane passed you by. Just curious, do all ham call signs now start with K, or did you first get your license west of the Mississippi? I was an SWL back in the day, in NYC and, IIRC, all the local amateurs had call signs starting with W.

Also began with Linux back in the early 90s; first Caldera 1.x, then RedHat Linux 4.2. When they split that distro between RHEL and Fedora, I switched to Slackware 8 or 9, preferring a standard kernel and full commitment to F/LOSS.

Have been really pleased with the performance on very old and limited hardware, and even on PowerPC Macs, when Slackintosh was actively maintained. Would love it if Salix were easily portable to fill that need; currently I'm looking at upcoming Debian and Fedora releases for PPC :roll:

On x86 I also feel an urge to play with Slackware -current on at least one PC, so am exploring Slackel, a Salix-based distro which is maintained by one of the devs here. Looking good so far, though I've been replacing its default KDE with lightweight alternatives. That's a work in progress 8-)

There's also some occasional discussion of Salix on Google Plus, in case you're there.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

jayseye wrote: Have been really pleased with the performance on very old and limited hardware, and even on PowerPC Macs, when Slackintosh was actively maintained. Would love it if Salix were easily portable to fill that need; currently I'm looking at upcoming Debian and Fedora releases for PPC :roll:
Hi, jayseye,

You might consider checking out MintPPC for your old PowerPC Macs. I haven't tried it myself, but I've read some positive reviews of it. Apparently its developer, Jeroen Diederen, has tweaked the distro such that many problematic things (battery status meter, sleep mode, sound) work out-of-the-box.

http://www.mintppc.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MintPPC

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Yes thanks gaucho, unfortunately MintPPC has been dormant for almost a year now.

The main challenge to reviving PowerPC Macs has been finding an up-to-date Web browser. I'd have to dig deep into my notes for specifics, though I do recall that one of the upcoming releases -- either Debian or Fedora -- has a current Firefox available, labeled Experimental.

Of course there's always the BSDs, and I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming FreeBSD to see whether they'll update Firefox.

Chrome(ium), BTW, is now unsupported on PPC. Given my need for fine-grained control over JavaScript, that leaves Firefox with NoScript as the only viable option.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, jayseye,

Thanks for the updated info on MintPPC; I didn't know that. If I'm able to get our PowerBook repaired, it sounds like I'll need to consider some alternative distros ...

We have an old PowerBook G4 laptop (from 2001) which my father kindly passed on to us. Before it stopped working, it had OS X 10.4 Tiger installed on it. It won't power on; based on my Googling, the most likely culprits are either a bad AC adapter (the cheaper repair) or a bad power inverter/logic board (the more expensive repair scenario). I haven't had the time or extra money to get it fixed -- it's on the back burner for now.