Downloaded and installed application not showing up anywhere

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
punchy71

Downloaded and installed application not showing up anywhere

Post by punchy71 »

I'm running the Fluxbox edition of Salix OS. I downloaded and installed VLC media player and rebooted, however, it doesn't show up anywhere in the menu, so how can I find where it went?

Thank you
caitlyn

Re: Downloaded and installed application not showing up anyw

Post by caitlyn »

It should be at /usr/bin/vlc See if you can run it from the command line. If that works it's just a matter of adding it to the menu.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

punchy71 wrote:I downloaded and installed VLC media player
How exactly did you do that?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Is there a dynamic menu in the Fluxbox edition? IIRC there is not...
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

If you installed vlc using the package manager (Gslapt or slapt-get) it should appear in some menu. But maybe with Fluxbox you actually have to do that manually. I don't use Fluxbox, but if so, it should be reasonably straightforward.

However if you installed vlc some other way, even if there's an automatic mechanism for adding new applications to the menu, it probably won't have worked.

By the way, please don't post the same query to multiple threads. Maybe if after a couple of days no-one answered you could create a new topic, but you did so after a few hours.

The reason this matters is because people may well end up looking at both posts, and that can be annoying.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

You might consider installing fbpanel. It was written with Fluxbox in mind, hence the "fb" and has a menu that will get updated when new packages are added. You can also edit the menu and panel itself.

Not all new packages will create a menu entry, for example, programs that have no gui and are meant to be run in a terminal. They won't install icons or a *.desktop file for the menu to launch the app.
ImageImage
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

thenktor wrote:Is there a dynamic menu in the Fluxbox edition? IIRC there is not...
There is a feature in Debian and PCLinuxOS (and also others, I assume) which updates one of the sub-menus of Fluxbox, each time a new package is installed (or maybe packages that has an entry at /usr/share/applications/). I suspect the package manager updates the sub-menus in question.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix