Whaawmp

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
DavidMcCann

Whaawmp

Post by DavidMcCann »

When the Mate version came out as RC1, I reported that I couldn't get Whaawmp to work:
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 189#p22189
I'm still getting exactly the same errors in the release version and nothing plays. Last time I replaced it with Parole, this time with VLC and both were fine.

There's a replacement for Totem - Mote - that might be a good choice.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Whaawmp

Post by gapan »

What files are you trying to play? You didn't respond in the RC1 thread about what really happens. Are you sure the files themselves are OK?
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

Further investigation has solved the problem. Whaawmp won't play files that are in a HD partition mounted on /media. It will play them if they're in USB memory mounted on /media.

It does have one problem remaining, though. It starts with a blank screen, and only shows a picture if I press F11 twice, or if I take the window by the menu bar and shake it. This also occurred with the latest Xubuntu in both Parole and VLC, yet those are fine in Salix.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

DavidMcCann wrote:Further investigation has solved the problem. Whaawmp won't play files that are in a HD partition mounted on /media. It will play them if they're in USB memory mounted on /media.
It shouldn't matter if it's mounted under /media or not. What is the full path to one of those files? Are there any special characters in them?
DavidMcCann wrote:It does have one problem remaining, though. It starts with a blank screen, and only shows a picture if I press F11 twice, or if I take the window by the menu bar and shake it. This also occurred with the latest Xubuntu in both Parole and VLC, yet those are fine in Salix.
No such problems here either. Try running gstreamer-properties and selecting another video output.
lmello

Post by lmello »

I`m also having issues with whaawmp on MATE - there`s no sound on DVD playing, even with all the codecs installed.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No such problems here. Are you sure your DVDs are OK?
lmello

Post by lmello »

I tested it on a faulty notebook, which plays ok but no sound, and on my qemu VM it doesn't play at all, an error message pops up:

Code: Select all

GStreamer encountered a general resource error.

gstmpeg2dec.c(455): gst_mpeg2dec_alloc_buffer (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin1/RsnDvdBin:source/RsnVideoDec:viddec/GstAutoConvert:autoconvert3/GstMpeg2dec:mpeg2dec1:
Failed to allocate memory for buffer, reason not-negotiated
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

How is your laptop faulty? Is the sound issue maybe because of that?

About your VM, how is the DVD mounted? Can you see the files in the DVD using a file manager?
lmello

Post by lmello »

My faulty notebook's got to get its HD replaced. Whaaw! played other video formats perfectly - even .rmvb ones! - but when I browse the DVD via Caja and try to play a .VOB file... it gets played but without sound. MPlayer reproduces it alright (but without the menus).

On my VM, I can browse through the DVD but when I click on a .VOB file to play I get the same error. Command-line MPlayer plays the thing though.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Ah, so you're not playing the DVD, you're trying to play the vob file, which is not right and that's not the way to play a DVD. A DVD is much more than vob files. You either right click on the DVD on the desktop and choose to play it with whaawmp, or launch whaawmp and select Play DVD from the menu.