Jackd - can't connect to JACK server as client.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
pevsner

Jackd - can't connect to JACK server as client.

Post by pevsner »

Hi,
I have always had problems getting jack to run.
I had it running before on this setup, but idk what I've done as it's refusing to start again. Even so when it was working before I was never able to get "ardour" to give me a level from my microphone, even though it was showing as connected in ardour and qctrljack.

I have jack, jack-audio-connection-kit and all dependencies,including optional ones (as in slackbuilds.org) installed.
My Kernel has ,CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y,CONFIG_RT_MUTEXES=y enabled.
I installed "set_rlimits" and amended .conf to allow "myuser /usr/bin/jackd -1 80", also tried "@audio /usr/bin/jackd -1 80" and added audio to my groups. I also tried "setcap cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice=ep /usr/bin/jackd" as mentioned at slackbuilds.

Subsequent to jack not working I removed all packages and deleted all files(dot etc) and reinstalled.
qctljack gives this error output:-

Code: Select all

17:42:38.985 Patchbay deactivated.
17:42:38.991 Statistics reset.
17:42:39.009 JACK is starting...
17:42:39.009 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n3
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
/usr/bin/jackd: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/jackd: undefined symbol: clock_source
17:42:39.036 ALSA connection graph change.
17:42:39.077 JACK was started with PID=3922.
17:42:39.112 JACK was stopped with exit status=127.
17:42:39.113 Post-shutdown script...
17:42:39.117 killall jackd
17:42:39.215 ALSA connection change.
jackd: no process found
17:42:39.529 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
17:42:41.218 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Jackd - can't connect to JACK server as client.

Post by thenktor »

You don't need all that real time (RT) stuff to get it working. It's only needed for lower latencies, so I suggest to get it working first and then tweak the configuration.
The error message indicates that jackd is not running. Apparently it failes to start: /usr/bin/jackd: undefined symbol: clock_source
Where did you get jack from? Do you have any other third party packages installed?

Note: the Salix jack package includes jackdbus only, not the classic jackd. See here: http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/JackDbusPackaging
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pevsner

Re: Jackd - can't connect to JACK server as client.

Post by pevsner »

Thanks Thenktor,

The problem actually stemmed from E17 using alsa. I couldn't , for now, work out where though, so switched to fluxbox and it all works.
I have now have jackaudio-connection-kit & qjackctl from slackbuilds working fine with ardour2 on fluxbox ( probably better as it uses slightly less resources than E17 ) although I want to figure out what in E17 is hogging alsa.
It does require realtime setup using set_rlimits ( as described in the slackbuilds/sourcery info) for others wanting to get ardour running.