Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

Post by JRD »

Well yes, this is because the shutdown is having a problem... Hard to figure why !
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

From the old laptop file, tried on a Compaq E500 from year 2000, PIII at 600 MHz with 320 RAM. ATI Mobility video which appears to be sharing 16MB of main RAM. This booted but the desktop was messed up, the top 20% transposed to the bottom. Have seen this with a number of distros, tho' it is OK with most. Firefox ran but took several minutes to start and terminated on attempting to load a fairly heavy news website. Overall performance on live CD with no swap was too slow to be usable, and Firefox doesn't fit in this RAM. The system did manage to close down OK and eject CD.

Posting now from E500 with Wary Puppy 5,2 which is running in RAM and has been up for an hour using SeaMonkey browser.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote:
ikke wrote:
Shador wrote:identfile is your from option. The only difference is that you specifiy the complete path to the ident file. The ident file is the file you mentioned you specifically need to copy too. So you could set identfile e.g. to '/xfce/salix-xfce-13.37-32-rc1.live'.
Too nice to be true.
You're right. It's not currently possible. But you got one step closer. ;) It found its root device vs it didn't know where to look at all. I think not much would be needed to support this, but it would have a great impact on many parts of the LiveCD.
Hope you are right that not much is needed to implement a 'from=' or 'indentfile=' bootcode. Wating for it ... Wish I could help.

Thank you very much.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Tried to boot on a ThinkPad R40. No go.
'error symbol not found ''
Entering rescue mode . . .
grub rescue >'

Machine is Pentium M 1.3 GHz, 1g RAM, Radeon Mobility M6 LY. It has no hard drive. Think this is the first time I have seen a fail to boot from live cd over a range of distros.

Posting from it now using parted magic 6.7.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I renamed the persistent file before booting and started again, with a view to reproducing the hanging on shutdown - I haven't succeeded yet.

However, when I rebooted again, I was surprised to discover that the changes I'd made since creating the new persistent file had been preserved. As far as I remember, rebooting used to be required after creating the file before any changes would be recorded.

This time, I chose a partition on the hard disk (hoping to improve speed, which maybe it has). Gmountman cannot see that partition.

As I mentioned a while back, when asking the user to choose where to put the persistent file, the persistent wizard includes full paths to somewhere in /tmp, where I presume there are temporary symlinks to the real locations. This looks messy and could be confusing.

For the record, in order to get ratpoison working, I have done the following:

- copied .ratmenu and .config/vimprobable and .ratpoisonrc from my existing installation to ~

- installed vim-gvim, feh, vimprobable2

- no doubt some other apps are missing, such as apvlv and whatever the screenshot app is; but the above are needed for features like editing .ratpoisonrc from the menu

Also, editing /etc/gdm/custom.conf to disable auto login as Shador suggested worked.
Shador

Post by Shador »

gnomic wrote:Tried to boot on a ThinkPad R40. No go.
'error symbol not found ''
Entering rescue mode . . .
grub rescue >'

Machine is Pentium M 1.3 GHz, 1g RAM, Radeon Mobility M6 LY. It has no hard drive. Think this is the first time I have seen a fail to boot from live cd over a range of distros.

Posting from it now using parted magic 6.7.
Do you have more information? How exactly where you booting? When is it happening? Is there more output from Grub2?
At the grub rescue shell please type 'echo $root' and 'echo $prefix' and post the output.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ JRD

I've managed to reproduce the problem, and the cause appears to be increasing the size of persistence! This time ext4 on a hard disk partition, rather than xfs on the USB. It hangs in exactly the same way.

Since expanding the persistent file isn't supported, this isn't a problem as such. But it's annoying - and maybe one day, resizing of peristence will be implemented as a feature.

One workaround I might try is to create a new persistent file, mount it and copy in the files from the old one.

EDIT Running e2fsck on it seems to have fixed the problem, and maybe the same would have worked for the xfs persistent file I created earlier.
Last edited by mimosa on 30. Oct 2011, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Booted live on a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, Sempron 3000+ CPU 1.8 GHz, 1g RAM, Radeon XPRESS 200m.

Getting some weirdness with wifi. Machine has bcm 4318 on board. No wifi interface seen. No complaints about missing firmware from dmesg. Inserted a pc card ath5k wifi which should be no firmware required.. Still no wifi interface. Tried a USB Linksys WUSB54GC with rt73 chip. Still no wifi interface. Maybe this is cosmic rays? Did manage to get a wired connection.

Hmmm. Will run through this again after reboot.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

About the R40 ThinkPad, not by me right now. Will try it again tomorrow and see what happens. It was an attempted boot from live CD.
Shador

Post by Shador »

gnomic wrote:Getting some weirdness with wifi. Machine has bcm 4318 on board. No wifi interface seen. No complaints about missing firmware from dmesg.
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... less_cards
gnomic wrote:Inserted a pc card ath5k wifi which should be no firmware required.. Still no wifi interface.
Sorry, I have absolutely no experience with pcmcia wirless/ethernet chips. But they probably need some extra setting up. Maybe enabling the pcmcia service is enough?
gnomic wrote:Tried a USB Linksys WUSB54GC with rt73 chip. Still no wifi interface.
Not sure about usb either. Maybe you just need to modprobe rt73usb.

BTW what method are you using to determine that there is no wifi interface? I recommend iwconfig.