Games and Parole Question in 13.37

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
zaen

Games and Parole Question in 13.37

Post by zaen »

Hi guys,

I installed 13.37 in my desktop for the very shallow reason of getting its boot image and background to apply to my Salix 13.0.2a installation in my laptop. This, I have done, thank you. :mrgreen:

But since 13.37 is the newest version, I decided to just keep using it in my desktop and download games as well. And that's the problem. Supertux2 and megamario runs so slowly as to be useless. Thinking it needs proprietary drivers, I downloaded the latest ATI Linux driver 11.5 and installed it with the result that the games wont even start. Open windows also moved sluggishly when dragged, so I uninstalled that driver.

My first question is, is there a fix for these games? My desktop is an MSI motherboard with builtin ATI video.

My other question is when playing video using Parole, I get "cannot initialize xv" error. Can you recommend a solution? I would have preferred Totem but its not in gslapt; VLC is, so I have been using that instead.

Thanks
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Games and Parole Question in 13.37

Post by gapan »

It doesn't sound that the problem is the games. The problem is with your graphics card. The open source drivers are probably not suitable for games, but the proprietary drivers should be. But it sounds like they don't work at all with your hardware or that they work in a really bad way.

For parole, run gstreamer-properties and select another video output, one that works.
zaen

Re: Games and Parole Question in 13.37

Post by zaen »

not the games indeed. i suspected as much since Salix games play well in my laptop (13.0.2a)
thanks gapan. i will try the gstreamer-properties when I get to my computer.
I'll just uninstall the games, no big loss.