Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

Post by mimosa »

You can use the escape command to bind any key to the command key.
EDIT Just saw your edit above, thanks!

Regarding mounting, I'm fairly sure the behaviour is different in ratpoison. Maybe what's different is *application* behaviour - anything (like Whaam, or thunar in xfce) that allows you to select a file using what must be the same underlying tool as in xfce, has a look to see what's connected. The HD, for instance, is /media/disk (or rather, that's one of its partitions), but it's just not there on boot. This seems unsatisfactory. mount tells me that it's /dev/sdb3, but how would I know that beforehand? As I remember, the behaviour in xfce is that the device appears as an icon on the desktop when you plug it in. It may not be mounted, but you can see it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Regarding mounting, I'm fairly sure the behaviour is different in ratpoison. Maybe what's different is *application* behaviour - anything (like Whaam, or thunar in xfce) that allows you to select a file using what must be the same underlying tool as in xfce, has a look to see what's connected. The HD, for instance, is /media/disk (or rather, that's one of its partitions), but it's just not there on boot. This seems unsatisfactory. mount tells me that it's /dev/sdb3, but how would I know that beforehand? As I remember, the behaviour in xfce is that the device appears as an icon on the desktop when you plug it in. It may not be mounted, but you can see it.
Oh, yes. The gtk open file dialogs use gio/gvfs for mounting devices. The device names depend on what order you connect your devices, there is no way of telling what they would be before connecting. The mountpoints are named after the volume names. If there is no volume name, they are mounted to /media/disk, media/disk1 etc.

I'm thinking about writing a gtk mount manager. It would do what the left part of the open file dialog does and be completely keyboard driven. It could also show the mountpoints once the volumes are mounted. I just need to find some time to do it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm thinking about writing a gtk mount manager.
8-)

... and I'm thinking about learning to code. My most recent experience was BASIC in the 80s, and I gather a few things have changed since then.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:mount tells me that it's /dev/sdb3, but how would I know that beforehand?
So, there is actually a way.

Code: Select all

gvfs-mount --list
will show you a short list of mountable devices with their volume names (where they will be mounted under /media) and

gvfs-mount --list --detail
will show you everything you'll ever need to know.

You can also mount/unmount everything using gvfs-mount, so I think pmount is not needed after all.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ok so there are four partitions (my main Salix install with xmonad, and the external HD) and a DVD. When I do this:

lucy[~]$ gvfs-mount --list --detail | grep automount
    should_automount=1
    should_automount=1
    should_automount=1
    should_automount=1
    should_automount=1
Here is a sample entry, the main data partition on the external drive:

Volume(0): 71.1 GB Medium
    Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorHal)
    ids:
     hal-udi: '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_df968816_f5b8_482b_aa90_21261e229e96'
     unix-device: '/dev/sdb3'
     uuid: 'df968816-f5b8-482b-aa90-21261e229e96'
    uuid=df968816-f5b8-482b-aa90-21261e229e96
    themed icons:  [drive-removable-media-usb]  [drive-removable-media]  [drive-removable]  [drive]
    can_mount=1
    can_eject=0
    should_automount=1
which doesn't tell me where it will go under /media (/media/disk or /media/disk-1; "71.1 GB Medium" is what I see in Whaam!). I imagine one is meant to use the uuid.

I still prefer the sound of your cool mount manager, which I imagine will be available from the menu - and could be a useful tool for all Salix editions for situations where one app or another gives trouble with removable devices. Meanwhile, opening and closing Whaaam! is easy enough, but I can hardly suggest that in the guide :shock:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You get nothing because there is no volume label. Since there isn't it will be mounted under /media/disk{1,2,...}, depending which are available. If there was a label, it would get mounted under /media/LABEL.

One of my usb sticks shows this:

Drive(0): Συσκευή USB
  Type: GProxyDrive (GProxyVolumeMonitorHal)
  ids:
   hal-udi: '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_A_DATA_USB_Flash_Drive_77c0cfe09b04e2_0_0'
   unix-device: '/dev/sdb'
  themed icons:  [drive-removable-media-usb]  [drive-removable-media]  [drive-removable]  [drive]
  is_media_removable=1
  has_media=1
  is_media_check_automatic=1
  can_poll_for_media=1
  can_eject=0
  can_start=0
  can_stop=0
  start_stop_type=unknown
  Volume(0): A-DATA UFD
    Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorHal)
    ids:
     hal-udi: '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_8005_2F66'
     unix-device: '/dev/sdb1'
     uuid: '8005-2F66'
     label: 'A-DATA UFD'
    uuid=8005-2F66
    can_mount=1
    can_eject=0
    should_automount=1
See the label line? This means that the /dev/sdb1 partition will be mounted under "/media/A-DATA UFD".
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for explaining gapan. The solution is now at my fingertips. I still look forward to your mount manager! :P
dwengel

Post by dwengel »

I love the idea of ratpoison, but I'd like to see the 64-bit version.

But realizing that the demand wouldn't be high enough, could I ask a different request? Could you point me in the direction of the packages/apps you chose for the keyboard-only versions (browser, etc.)? I can handle getting them to my current system from there.

FYI, I'm currently using Salix Fluxbox 13.1(.2, I think - not at the laptop), and I'm more than happy with it.

David
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

dwengel wrote:Could you point me in the direction of the packages/apps you chose for the keyboard-only versions (browser, etc.)?
Most of them are mentioned in the first post in this topic.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Anything with vim keybindings. Check out pages on ratpoison on the web - they're full of tips, including for apps. Some people prefer alpine to mutt (no vim keybindings, though). Vlc probably works well with little or no mouse use, as someone said above. Antiword (direct output to .txt file and edit with PyRoom or vim).

.... unclutter