Salix Fluxbox 13.37beta1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Fluxbox 13.37beta1

Post by gapan »

So, it's time for the Fluxbox edition to catch up with 13.37. Ax and Kerd have prepared a 13.37beta1 iso image. For now it's only 32bits, a 64bit iso image will follow (edit: it is available now). Everyone who has used the 13.1 Fluxbox edition, will find this release very familiar. Important changes include the replacement of OpenOffice.org with LibreOffice and the inclusion of Sourcery, a graphical frontend to slapt-src. Fluxbox has been upgraded to the latest 1.3.1 version and all other has been updated to the newer versions present in the 13.37 repositories.

So, please help testing this release and sort out any remaining issues so we can have a final release soon. The iso image can be downloaded from our Sourceforge project page using the following link:

Salix Fluxbox 13.37beta1 (size:575MB md5:1d7b028bd5efe0066a6890a6f148f13d)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix64 Fluxbox 13.37beta1 (size:562MB md5: 7190164812e197417492c1876a7d8016)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Fluxbox 13.37beta1

Post by gapan »

A 64-bit iso image has also been uploaded. Links are in the first post.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I've added btrfs-progs to the core list in the SVN to mirror the other releases.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Just tested it on Virtualbox,
it works without a problem, including Ibus.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Found two minor problems with the menus:

* Galculator is missing from the Accessories menu
* The "PCManFM File Manager" menu entry should be "PCMan File Manager" instead.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Nice one:
Here are some comments:

1. The home page is not salix os page but the standard firefox one.
2. Ibus works fine out of box
3. All applications are tested fine. Pdf opens up with evince, and photos with viewnoir, exaile plays music fine (ejecting a CD was a little problematic. I had to do "eject" as root")
4. a DVD managed to load, but failed to play, another successful, but the sound was not there. The third DVD tested gave me the same results as the second one. No sound. (sound is in general working with youtube, exaile). NOTE: all three works on the xfce version (but fair to say, i have not tested with a fresh install).
5. Flash worked out of box

A side note: installing parole, vlc, mplayer via gslapt all requires installation of xfce. Is this normal? In the case of parole, it also installs qt as dep. I thought parole does not need qt or at least it does not come with qt in ISO.
ax

Post by ax »

tsuren wrote:Nice one:
Here are some comments:
Not finding any of the above problems. Except for firefox, because being updated to the latest release of the missing configuration file and redirect to the start page. But I see no need as Salix Home link in the menu of fluxbox by default.
As for the speech vlc, mplayer etc ... we must remember that by default does not come with the iso multimedia codecs installed. The multimedia codecs install is in the menu to be installed if necessary or for the user's request.

[/quote]
gapan wrote:Found two minor problems with the menus:

* Galculator is missing from the Accessories menu
* The "PCManFM File Manager" menu entry should be "PCMan File Manager" instead.
- Yes it's no problem, the menu will be placed.

p.s. there is a problem with htop in fluxbox menu. For some strange reason unknown to me to start di "urxvt -e htop" open a terminal with statistics but closes automatically after you launch the program. Which does not happen if you start from the terminal by hand. Yet there are no errors of any kind.
At this point I thought that if we want to give the menu item htop no problem to replace 'urxvt-e htop' with 'xterm -e htop'. What do you think?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tsuren wrote:1. The home page is not salix os page but the standard firefox one.
That is on purpose. The standard firefox home page has a very convenient "Restore previous session" button that I prefer over having our own start page. Same thing happens in the xfce edition.
tsuren wrote:4. a DVD managed to load, but failed to play, another successful, but the sound was not there. The third DVD tested gave me the same results as the second one. No sound. (sound is in general working with youtube, exaile). NOTE: all three works on the xfce version (but fair to say, i have not tested with a fresh install).
Did you run salix-codecs-installer first?
tsuren wrote:A side note: installing parole, vlc, mplayer via gslapt all requires installation of xfce. Is this normal? In the case of parole, it also installs qt as dep. I thought parole does not need qt or at least it does not come with qt in ISO.
Parole needs xfce. Vlc needs qt. That's normal.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ax wrote:At this point I thought that if we want to give the menu item htop no problem to replace 'urxvt-e htop' with 'xterm -e htop'. What do you think?
Sure.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

ax wrote:
As for the speech vlc, mplayer etc ... we must remember that by default does not come with the iso multimedia codecs installed. The multimedia codecs install is in the menu to be installed if necessary or for the user's request.
This was more of a general comment. I was not talking about multimedia install. I was just a little surprised to find xfce and qt are part of deps for parole. That means regardless of your edition, (say you are working with fluxbox or kde), and if you want to install parole, for example, then gslapt automatically fetches xfce as well for you. And I don't think this is normal. (ok in the case of parole, perhaps, as it is part of xfce, but with vlc?)

ax wrote: Not finding any of the above problems.
Does not mean that there won't be any problem. :) That's why I tested 3 different DVDs just to make sure if reading of any dvds is ok or not. If sound is working ok for everyone else. I guess that's ok.
gapan wrote:
Did you run salix-codecs-installer first?
Yes, of course. This was all part of testing...

One more thing I noticed is that with my machine, resizing of windows is a little difficult, The corner lines are so thing on them, I found it difficult to catch the right pixels to resize the window with a mouse.