Setting Up BCM4309 Wireless

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
kepta

Re: Setting Up BCM4309 Wireless

Post by kepta »

Thank you so much. It wasn't working at first but I did a reinstall of salix, got the fwcutter package, and used the commands you provided and its working fine.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Fantastic... you've done half the testing already :D.

I've knocked together a new install-b43-firmware script that supports the b43legacy firmware. You can download a new b43-fwcutter package containing this script here.

To test the script you'll need to remove everything you've just done.

Unload the module:

Code: Select all

root[user]# modprobe -r b43legacy
Remove the firmware directory:

root[user]# rm -rf /lib/firmware/b43legacy
Remove the line from rc.local:

root[user]# sed -i '/modprobe b43legacy/d'  /etc/rc.d/rc.local
The new script should explain the whole process a bit better and I'll probably write a wiki page with screenshots once I know everything is ok.

When you run the script you'll notice there is a new b43legacy option. Once you've run through the script and installed the package you should fine the b43legacy module is already loaded (this is handled by the package installation script).

You can test this with the following command:

lsmod | grep b43legacy
There is a new rc script for the legacy firmware, /etc/rc.d/rc.b43legacy. You can issue the standard start, stop and status arguments to the script to load, unload or query the b43legacy module. You should also find the script is installed as an executable so it will run the next time you reboot.

Try everything out and if everything works I'll submit the package.

Happy testing :)

Notes:
1. You can install the b43 and b43legacy packages together on the same system but only one module can be used at any one time. So if you have two wifi cards that require you to use both modules then you'll need to replace one of the cards for a different vendor.
2. If for some reason you do install both packages then the package installation script (doinst.sh) and rc scripts (/etc/rc.d/rc.b43 and /etc/rc.d/rc.b43legacy) will unload the opposing module an runtime. Futhermore, the rc scripts will disable each other as well. This is a 'belt and braces' approach but should avoid a lot of issues.
kepta

Post by kepta »

Ok just tried the new script with a fresh install, worked perfectly.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Great, I just need to fix a grammatical error and few other basic changes then I'll submit it.