Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images are released!

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images are released!

Post by gapan »

We are happy to announce the immediate availability of the collection of Salix Xfce 13.1.2 iso images. These include both 32-bit and 64-bit standard installation images, as well as a 32-bit live image, that can be used with an optical disk or a usb drive. Both standard and live images can be used for installing Salix Xfce to your harddrive, using a text-mode or a graphical installer respectively. As with all Salix releases, installation can be performed in one of three different modes, "full", "basic" and "core". The live image includes, among others, a persistence wizard, that will let the user keep changes, including extra installed packages, personalization etc, between different live sessions. LiveClone is another tool specific to the live image; using it users will be able to easily roll their own custom version of the Salix Xfce Live, that they will be able to install directly to a usb drive or create a new iso image for burning to a CD. These custom images will have all the features the official live image has, including the ability to install the customized system to a harddrive!

One of the most important additions in Salix Xfce 13.1.2 is the inclusion of slapt-src, a new tool that makes the process of downloading and building software packages from slackbuilds.org simple and easy. Thousands of extra packages are now available through it for our users. Other changes in version 13.1.2 include:
* Updated kernel that fixes significant security issues in the 64-bit edition
* glibc has been upgraded, fixing multiple security issues
* Zim, a desktop wiki application, has been added to the default full mode installation.
* Meld, a graphical diff tool, has been added to the default full mode installation. It can also be used by the dotnew utility to compare new and old system settings files.
* All system administration tools are updated with translations for even more languages, including, but not limited to, french, german, greek, italian, dutch, spanish, japanese, ukranian, swedish and more! About dialogs including credits for all translators have been added to all system tools. A big thanks goes to all contributors, it wouldn't have been possible to provide that level of internationalization without all of you.
* New firefox packages are included, updated to the latest stable version avaiable, that also fixes a problem where it was not possible to change the default homepage.
* Persistence now works properly in all systems with the live CD, using the persistence wizard available on the live CD desktop.
* gvfs has been upgraded, to fix segfaults with bluefish in 64-bit systems, which is now available in both 32-bit and 64-bit repositories.
* Several other minor updates and fixes.

You can download any of the three Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images from SourceForge or with a torrent client, using the following links:

Salix Xfce 13.1.2 installation image (32-bit):
(size: 583 MB, md5: f7de7eae73ada32a78b3dd8ddca4308d)
SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
Slackel mirror (US): http://www.slackel.gr/isos/salix-xfce/s ... 13.1.2.iso
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/iso/ ... so.torrent

Salix64 Xfce 13.1.2 installation image (64-bit):
(size: 563 MB, md5: fb6fa6ec1beec958bf9cc374d09ceaf7)
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.1/is ... so.torrent

Salix Live Xfce 13.1.2 image (32-bit):
(size: 671 MB, md5: 503479c8ff5cdd2c1437a02001030af2)
Slackel mirror (US): http://www.slackel.gr/isos/salix-xfce/s ... 13.1.2.iso
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/iso/ ... so.torrent
(root password: live) (standard user login: one / no password)

A DVD-sized iso image with complete source code for all software, that corresponds to these releases is available through our downloads page, along with all other Salix images available: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Enjoy!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 13.1.2 images are released!

Post by gapan »

Oops! The 64bit iso wasn't uploaded properly! It is being uploaded again now, but it is going to take a couple of hours until it is available. Sorry everyone, this will be fixed soon hopefully. :oops:
witek

Post by witek »

I`ve just installed and I`m wondering if outdated version of Geany (0.18.1) is the intention or omission as the current version is 0.19.1?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

witek wrote:I`ve just installed and I`m wondering if outdated version of Geany (0.18.1) is the intention or omission as the current version is 0.19.1?
Version 0.18.1 is the version that comes with 13.1.x. This is not a rolling distribution. Package updates only happen for security or important bugfix reasons.
witek

Post by witek »

Another issue is missing dependencies for smpalyer. After installation with slapt-get it couldn`t find mplayer and failed to play video. When I installed MPlayer it started working, however there is a minor problem with AVI files that won`t play by clicking in thunar. It works from commandline.
witek

Post by witek »

gapan wrote: Version 0.18.1 is the version that comes with 13.1.x. This is not a rolling distribution. Package updates only happen for security or important bugfix reasons.
One might argue what is important bugfix. When I looked into geany`s release notes there are many bugfixes more or less important.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

But do those bugs have anything to do with the security or stability of the entire system?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

witek wrote:Another issue is missing dependencies for smpalyer. After installation with slapt-get it couldn`t find mplayer and failed to play video. When I installed MPlayer it started working, however there is a minor problem with AVI files that won`t play by clicking in thunar. It works from commandline.
Fixed.
witek wrote:One might argue what is important bugfix. When I looked into geany`s release notes there are many bugfixes more or less important.
None of those qualifies as an important bugfix. I couldn't care less for fixing encoding in windows or waf building in solaris. If you want the latest version, you can compile it yourself. The infrastructure to do just that is there. Get the SLKBUILD from inside /usr/src/, change the version and run it. But the policy is that such version upgrades don't happen in a stable repository. That's one of the things that help in calling it "stable". If you're looking for bleeding edge software, I'm afraid you're looking at the wrong place.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

A corrected 64bit image is now available. Sorry if someone was quick enough to get the old iso. The new one is numbered 13.1.2a to avoid confusion.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Hi Gapan,

I hope this doesn't sound dumb. Relatively recently I downloaded 13.1.1, spent quite awhile setting it up and making it personal, got my back-up strategy working, and everything is good. Best Linux experience ever. Every once in awhile Salix updates something, but other than that my system just hums along and I don't change anything.

Now I see that 13.1.2 is available. This makes me nervous. So here are my questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Should I "upgrade" my system to 13.1.2 or am I ok continuing with 13.1.1? What I mean is, am I suddenly using an inferior version of Salix? Also, will 13.1.1 continue receiving software updates, or are the updates only for the current version of Salix? This was my main issue with Zenwalk, lack of support for older versions, and the reason I was going to go to Arch Linux before I happily stumbled upon Salix OS.

2) If you do suggest going to 13.1.2, is there an automated way to do it from my present Salix version so as to keep all of my settings, or am I better off starting from a fresh install?

3) How often does Salix plan to offer new versions?

Thanks in advance.
There are no stupid questions.