Smaller graphical install than basic on Eee PC 701.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Smaller graphical install than basic on Eee PC 701.

Post by gapan »

As stated in the wiki article, you need the xf86-input-evdev package.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

pwatk wrote:If the EeePC has an SD card slot then couldn't you buy a large card and use that for /home and /usr?

Just a thought!
Yes, I could do that, but I want to keep the SDHC card for .flac files, so I can listen to some music when I take the Eee PC with me somewhere, where I don't feel like lugging the external HD I have most of my music on.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

gapan wrote:As stated in the wiki article, you need the xf86-input-evdev package.
Doh!

Is there anything I can do to rescue the situation?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, start your pc in init 3, by pressing the tab key at the lilo screen and typing:

Code: Select all

linux 3
then log in as root and slapt-get the package.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Cheers. OK, I just got it re-installed. Thank goodness it's Friday :-)
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

With regards to the video drivers, are there any more that I can safely remove? Win XP reported originally that my Eee PC 701 uses a
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910 GML Express Graphic
I assume the xf86-video-intel-2.11.0-i486-1gv covers that, and I of course want to keep the vesa driver, but googling the other packages doesn't give me any clues as to whether I can safely remove them from my system.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can remove all other drivers except the intel one.
prfaasse

Post by prfaasse »

First-off a warning: I'm an 'alien' here... No Salix running anywhere, but for those who remember my name from 'olden days': i'm running something similar ;-) On the bright side: i *am* using a little bit 'bigger brother' than the machine you mention: 7" Asus 4G (yes, the 4 Gigabytes 7" version).

Two things that could be of help:

If you are sure you will never compile anything on your machine, then you could slim down on the development header files: /usr/include contains header files that will -feel free to correct me..- only be used by gcc and friends. There are sure to be others, but: only if you're not developing on the machine.

If you are 'solder-proof', i could suggest you might want to add an 'internal' USB flash-drive. That is similar to the suggestion of using an SD-card, but this keeps the sd-slot free. 'from shop' the Asus has at least two sets of pads that can be used to connect an USB 'stick' to. This is not for the faint of heart: It requires disassembling of the machine.

I have used one of these sets of pads on the board of the Asus to add a 8 GigBytes flashdrive to one of my 7" machines (i have two of them....). Hints can be found here:

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.ph ... l_Upgrades

I have also taken the 'heart' of the USB stick (removed plastic cover and USB connector) and wired the small PCB inside the 'stick' directly to the pads. With the room under the small cover at the 'bottom' of the machine, there is ample space for the extra 'stick'.

For my machine with 4 Gig 'internal 'disk', the entire OS and applications does fit (just..) on the internal 4 Gig flash-disk, but then again i'm crazy enough to want to run kde on such a small machine :D. I'm using the 8 Gig 'expanded-flash' as my /home.. In your case, moving /usr to the extra flash could be a real relief.
in case of panic: scream and run in circles
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

gapan wrote:You can remove all other drivers except the intel one.
Cheers.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the info prfaasse. As long as I am able to get Google Chrome or the open source Chromium version installed in the space available, I don't have any worries. I find the Eee PC 701 to have too small a keyboard for me to want to work for any length of time on it. I mainly use it for taking a few notes, accessing the Internet, in connection with an educational presentation (web, power point or video) or hooked up to my stereo and an external HD as a jukebox.

I think that the hardware hacking is very inspiring, but I haven't used a soldering iron since shop class in junior high school :shock: