how does dependency checking work?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
justwantin

how does dependency checking work?

Post by justwantin »

First off, now that I've used Salix for a couple days I am very happy with it, well done! I have only had to add two things not included the the repository, the broadcom-sta module and rednotebook. I also think I've outgrown KDE. After many years of using it Xfce is a breath of fresh air.

I am considering putting Salix on my desktop and/or maybe out in the shop in which case I'd probably want a few other applications such as gopdit for editing digital TV saves plus a few other odds and sods.

I have built slackpacks before rather than just use make install and can follow what's going on in a slkbuild file but I don't understand quite how dependency checking is done and are the packages in the repository built differently than those using slkbuild?

If I have missed this in the documentation please point me in the right direction.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: how does dependency checking work?

Post by gapan »

justwantin wrote:I have built slackpacks before rather than just use make install and can follow what's going on in a slkbuild file but I don't understand quite how dependency checking is done and are the packages in the repository built differently than those using slkbuild?
No.

If you're building your own packages for your own use, you shouldn't concern yourself with dependency lists. That's only for putting packages in the repositories.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Thanks for that!
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

The slackbuilds at http://slackbuilds.org are also fully compatible with Salix, in case you need anything that is not in the Salix repos.