Salix Update Notifier - Multiple Notification Icons

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Update Notifier - Multiple Notification Icons

Post by gapan »

ray, someone else reported the same problem in the past (was it Akuna?), but unfortunately I can't reproduce it on any of my PCs. Sorry, but it's hard to provide any help without knowing why it happens.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Yes, this happens to me a couple times again recently when I did not accept to upgrade, for whatever reason. Either because I decided I want to report the procedure until later or when I test a package that is not in the repo yet, or whatever. (BTW, there are plenty of reason why one would not want to accept an update each & every single time he is nudged too, which is why, thankfully, the updater lets you decide for yourself).

But I don't think this bug happens each time I refuse an upgrade, only sometimes... I wonder if it depends whether the upgrade is refused from the updater yes/no box or from gslapt confirmation stage. I'll pay more attention next time.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

I've seen it as well. In fact, yesterday I had 5 update icons :) I'm not sure what prompted it though - I think originally the only update was mc, which I didn't want, since I'm currently trying to track a bug with either mc or cdrtools and have my own 4.7.4 build running. But I think I only refused the update once....

I'll have to see if I can track the process of ending up with mulitples.

Paul.
Shador

Post by Shador »

ray wrote:@damNageHack,

The pgrep line you wrote wouldnt work if there's more than one instance of zenity around, would it?
Anyways, i'll have a shot at it tomorrow, it's getting a bit late.

Cheers,
ray
I think this should do what you're trying to achieve:

Code: Select all

if [[ `LANG=C /usr/sbin/slapt-get -s --upgrade | grep "Need to get"` ]]
    then
        if [ -n "$TRAYPID" ]; then
            kill "$TRAYPID" >/dev/null 2>&1
            sleep 5s
            kill -9 "$TRAYPID" >/dev/null 2>&1
        fi
        zenity --notification \
        --text="`eval_gettext 'Package updates are available.'`" \
        --window-icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/salix-update-notifier.png \
        TRAYPID=$!
        ret=$?
        if [ $ret ]; then
            zenity --question \
            --title "`eval_gettext 'Install package updates?'`" \
            --text="`eval_gettext 'Package updates are available for your system.\n\nSelecting OK will perform the updates using gslapt. Root user privileges will be required in order to do that.\n\nProceed with updating?'`" \
            --window-icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/salix-update-notifier.png \
            && $SUCOMMAND gslapt --upgrade
        fi
    fi
But I don't think that this is the problem. Already in the original version execution would only continue when zenity --notification returns. So pretty much the only scenario, when I could imagine multiple icons would show, requires multiple instances of salix-update-notifier running. Can you check that when anybody experiences this issue again. Something like ps -A | grep salix should do.
If that's the problem, I guess some kind of locking should be added to salix-update-notifier to prevent that kind of conditions.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

What is bad in the way to just use pgrep like I suggested in the first post?
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Shador

Post by Shador »

You could capture other instances of zenity, which weren't launched by you. Then you would kill a process which you mustn't kill.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Shador wrote:You could capture other instances of zenity, which weren't launched by you. Then you would kill a process which you mustn't kill.
I do not want to be impolite, but the answer to that was already there.
damNageHack wrote:Sorry, but I doubt that I understand your problem.
man pgrep wrote: pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the pro-
cess IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri-
teria have to match. For example,
[...]
-f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name.
When -f is set, the full command line is used.
ray wrote:The pgrep line you wrote wouldnt work if there's more than one instance of zenity around, would it?
Do you see the pattern "zenity.+salix" in my code? And now, think again. I doubt that there will be more than one process with a command line that matches a pattern with "salix" in it, and you can see from the original script that the call to zenity uses a special "salix" icon file, so the pattern should be unique enough.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Shador

Post by Shador »

damNageHack wrote:
Shador wrote:You could capture other instances of zenity, which weren't launched by you. Then you would kill a process which you mustn't kill.
I do not want to be impolite, but the answer to that was already there.
damNageHack wrote:Sorry, but I doubt that I understand your problem.
man pgrep wrote: pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the pro-
cess IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri-
teria have to match. For example,
[...]
-f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name.
When -f is set, the full command line is used.
ray wrote:The pgrep line you wrote wouldnt work if there's more than one instance of zenity around, would it?
Do you see the pattern "zenity.+salix" in my code? And now, think again. I doubt that there will be more than one process with a command line that matches a pattern with "salix" in it, and you can see from the original script that the call to zenity uses a special "salix" icon file, so the pattern should be unique enough.
It's pretty unique, yes. I noticed that you did grep for Salix and I didn't say it doesn't work. Just that I think it might not always work properly.. Still I don't consider it enough. There's still a pretty big chance of collision when compared to that of my solution, which should be almost 0.
In fact I actually didn't even suggest that your solution were bad like you pointed out in the first place. But it's up to me to write the code in the way I want to and I usually tend to choose the clean/cleanest way.
ray

Post by ray »

@Shador,
Thanks for the code, that's what i was trying to acheive, but i didnt know you could track pid's of processes launched from a script.

@damNageHack,
After thinking a bit more clearly, i do see that the pgrep with the 'salix' bit would mostly account for other zenity processes around.

Thanks, both of you. :)

Cheers,
ray