Here's an update to our LXDE edition! The main selection of software has stayed the same as in the previous LXDE release: Midori is used as the default web browser, claws-mail is the default email client, abiword, gnumeric and epdfview are there for your office needs and exaile, brasero and whaaw! media player are included in the multimedia application section, all running in the same lightweight LXDE desktop. Following the changes in the standard XFCE release, several things have been updated though. Here's the list of what changed:
* Lilosetup, a new graphical tool that can be used for setting up the Lilo bootloader has been added.
* New graphical system administration tools have been added; a tool to manage ALSA sound cards and one to manage system hostnames. All salix system tools are now available in a "basic" installation too.
* Dotnew has received a major overhaul and it now has a powerful GTK+2 interface, replacing the previous Xdialog based one.
* The installation CDs can now be used as a local repository with slapt-get/gslapt, complete with dependency support. Detailed instructions on how to do that can be found in the README file in the iso images. This will help users with no internet access that are performing "core" or "basic" mode installations and would like an easy way to install extra software found in a "full" mode installation.
* New software included in this release includes the meld visual diff and merge tool, which is also utilized by dotnew and gigolo, a tool that helps mount remote filesystems, which was previously only included in the XFCE release, but was missed by a lot of LXDE users.
* Several security fixes and package upgrades, which among others include new xorg-server and new webkit and midori packages.
* An older version of the intel driver (2.9.1) is included in the installation media in the salix/extra directory. This is not installed by default but might be of use with some intel graphics cards. You can read the README.intel file in the iso image for more details.
Downloads are available from sourceforge or by using a torrent client. The iso image weighs 468MB.
Sourceforge download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
Torrent download: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/iso/ ... so.torrent
The full source code for this release is provided in the form of a dvd-sized iso image (850 MB) and can be downloaded from sourceforge. Download links for this and other releases can be found in our "Download" page:http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download