a few questions?

Other talk about Salix
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: a few questions?

Post by gapan »

You're missing a package that will provide you with gksu. You can use the ktsuss package from the salix repositories. Also install the salixtools package if you have installed the salixtools-gtk package.
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

gapan wrote:You're missing a package that will provide you with gksu. You can use the ktsuss package from the salix repositories. Also install the salixtools package if you have installed the salixtools-gtk package.
on slackware i'm running solely as root (a cautious root user, lol) so would i need to edit one/some of the files to run without sudo?
Praise Bob!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, you still need the ktsuss package, because the commands are run through gksu anyway in the .desktop files.

But I would strongly advice you to stop running as root. It's stupid and reckless to say the least. There is no such thing running as "cautious root".
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

gapan wrote:Yes, you still need the ktsuss package, because the commands are run through gksu anyway in the .desktop files.

But I would strongly advice you to stop running as root. It's stupid and reckless to say the least. There is no such thing running as "cautious root".
i've always run as root makes my life easier plus i've save a copy of my install with "dd" since there isn't a slackware alternative to remastersys, i'll add ktsuss now an give it a go, nice1

UPDATE: much better
Praise Bob!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

try-alls wrote:i've always run as root makes my life easier
Sure. I can propose a few more things that will also make your life easier:

1. Always leave your house keys on the door when you go out. Why carry extra weight and also risk losing them and not be able to get in the house when you come back?
2. Always leave your car unlocked and the keys on the ignition. Why waste time taking them with you if you're going to put them back there if you want to drive anyway?
3. Always keep your PIN numbers written on the back of your credit cards. You're not going to use the credit cards without them anyway and why waste brain functions remembering all those different numbers?
4. Always leave your credit cards inside your car (the one with the keys on the ignition). You're not going to use them while at home, are you?
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

lol, na i good, cant be bothered with makin users an setting mount points etc.
Praise Bob!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:1. Always leave your house keys on the door when you go out. Why carry extra weight and also risk losing them and not be able to get in the house when you come back?
2. Always leave your car unlocked and the keys on the ignition. Why waste time taking them with you if you're going to put them back there if you want to drive anyway?
3. Always keep your PIN numbers written on the back of your credit cards. You're not going to use the credit cards without them anyway and why waste brain functions remembering all those different numbers?
4. Always leave your credit cards inside your car (the one with the keys on the ignition). You're not going to use them while at home, are you?
Good ideas, I agree with them!
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

try-alls wrote:lol, na i good, cant be bothered with makin users an setting mount points etc.
so you are running as root out of sheer laziness?? that's wrong on so many levels ....... :roll:
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

not exactly "sheer laziness" more that i have recently moved from "babysitting" distro's like ubuntu etc
an i have been constantly editing this, adding that, in order to learn an progress with linux an the only experience i have of mounting is small partitions used as "safe" storage areas for use every so often, an therefore have not yet had to do it but after googling running as root i agree that i NEED a "general use" account,

I do have a partition left over from a previous install, so how would one mount that for permanent use as /home

also i willl be copying my /root (root-home) for use in my general account i do not wish to 755 each files individually so can short track that,
Praise Bob!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

try-alls wrote:I do have a partition left over from a previous install, so how would one mount that for permanent use as /home
Just add an entry to your /etc/fstab. Mine is:

Code: Select all

/dev/sda3       /home   xfs     defaults        1       2
try-alls wrote:also i willl be copying my /root (root-home) for use in my general account i do not wish to 755 each files individually so can short track that,
You can chown all files to your new user, after you copy them.

Code: Select all

chown -R newuser:users /home/newuser