dvdrom drive

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jsordiff083

dvdrom drive

Post by jsordiff083 »

Since I've installed salix on my laptop (compaq presario cq40) it won't read the DVD Rom. it also changes my FN settings. For those who don't know what a FN function key is. Its on the bottom left hand side of most newer laptops. Well on mine it is. When you press and hold the little button it changes the function of some of the keys that bare the FN associated symbals or letters, or numbers.
As for my DVD ROM. That is working great! Just not on salix. And also my wireless does not work (wireless net).
Make no mistake. I am very interested in salix. It works on all other six computers I own. except my laptop. I build and operate computers. And, everyone i know knows what an FN key is. I might not adorn myself with little childish cartoon avatars. But, i try. I just need some help. if you don't know its OK. I will go else where. If I give you any more info... I would know the answer myself.

thanks for the warm welcome.
Last edited by jsordiff083 on 29. Jun 2010, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: dvdrom drive

Post by JRD »

Ok cool, thanks for all these terrible informations !

Well, I have a weird noise in my car since I parked it yesterday, do you know why ? Because with another car, I do not have this noise...
And also since I change the oil, I go slower, please help me !!

frankly, jsordiff083, I will not post you some links about "how to ask question the smart way" but please, make an effort to explain your problem precisely, or else we cannot help you. What is FN for example ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsordiff083, it could be that your dvdrom has just died. I found that happens quite often with laptop optical drives, I've had a few die on me too.

And as JRD noted, there's no way for anyone to provide you with an answer if you don't provide more information.
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

jsordiff083 wrote: And also my wireless does not work (wireless net).
First, run lsmod and make sure the driver for your wireless card is loaded.
Have you tried using wicd to setup the wireless networking?
Wicd is included in a stock (full) install of Salix. It is very easy to use.