Quick question about FFesr and security updates

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sojurn

Quick question about FFesr and security updates

Post by sojurn »

I have my system (13.37 lxde) current, for the last week or so I have been getting a message that there is an important security update for FF 15.0.8esr (which I have, no updates pending). It looks official enough, but it seems like a FF message instead of a Salix one (the "updates pending" icon). I did find an update at "linuxsecurity" for Slackware 14.0 and 13.37 that is about a week old, which is about how long I have been getting this message. So I was just wondering how this works and what is generating the message, since my FF is set in preferences to "never check for updates".

I have never liked apps "calling home", would prefer for only Salix to check for and make changes to my system.
sojurn

Re: Quick question about FFesr and security updates

Post by sojurn »

Thanks gapan, I should have done a search first.

Interesting. So if I understand correctly I have already done this update and for some reason FF has decided I still need it? I looked at localization since you mentioned that in the link, I have a mozilla-firefox-l10n-en-US version 17.0esr-i686-2gv I could try installing. About Midori: I have looked at it before and liked it for the most part, but the older version in 13.37 just didn't quite cut it as a main browser. I've been thinking of switching to 14.0 Xfce for some time now and if I did that would stay with its Midori; I just checked on the versions and it jumps all the way from 0.3.3 to 0.5.2. Looks good.

So is Firefox calling home even though it is set to "never check for updates"!?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Quick question about FFesr and security updates

Post by gapan »

sojurn wrote:So is Firefox calling home even though it is set to "never check for updates"!?
That's how it looks like.

Tell us how it goes with the locale package. I have a feeling that I'm not having any weird notifications because I'm using a locale package.
sojurn

Re: Quick question about FFesr and security updates [solved]

Post by sojurn »

gapan wrote:
sojurn wrote:So is Firefox calling home even though it is set to "never check for updates"!?
That's how it looks like.

Tell us how it goes with the locale package. I have a feeling that I'm not having any weird notifications because I'm using a locale package.
Hi gapan, I thought I would wait a day or so before getting back. Had installed the en-US localization shortly after my last post and since then I haven't the message again, so this seems to have worked, thank you. I don't think I had any localization before, was just using whatever was the standard install, my system has both english and german on it.

That it checks at all even though preferences are set to "never check for updates" is another problem. I just don't like that, and you would probably have to go into the config file and delete all url's in it to prevent that (or finally set up a firewall to monitor outgoing traffic and catch any offenders "in the act" so to speak, allow by exception, the better solution).