strange characters on command line

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
knome
Donor

Re: strange characters on command line

Post by knome »

again @ ikke

Mimosa probably has the best suggestion... "try commenting them out (one each at a time) to see the result"

By the way, how did you end up with such a well-tweaked .bashrc? Mine is just the default salix 6-liner.
ikke

Post by ikke »

mimosa wrote:What does that last one do? Also LESSCHARSET ....
alias mkey="xmodmap -e 'keycode 115=Multi_key' " You don't need to have a multikey if you only use English. But for languages with accents or tones you can't without.
LESSCHARSET=utf-8s needed to have 'less' show utf-8 characters only.
My first step would be to try commenting them out (one each at a time) to see the result.
Maybe the problem lies with the aliases. If I unalias 'cp', 'mv', 'rm' the problem has disappeared, but I loose some functionality. Why? Why can't I use 'cp', 'mv', 'rm' with arguments??

Thank you.
ikke

Post by ikke »

knome wrote:By the way, how did you end up with such a well-tweaked .bashrc? Mine is just the default salix 6-liner.
Guess all depends on your needs. Have a look an www and you might find interesting '.bashrc entries.

Thank you for your reaction.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

What happens if you use those commands manually - do you still get output like that?

Regarding multikey, I have such a keyboard, and it works without tweaking. é, têm acentuação ...

I just wonder (as a diagnostic step, not a proposed solution): what happens if you comment out just that line?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

As Gapan suggested, did you try creating a new user? and try reproducing this problem from a standard setup?
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.