578 Upgrades? [solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
f.bluedevil

578 Upgrades? [solved]

Post by f.bluedevil »

My update notifier just advised me that 578 programs needed to be updated. Seems like a bit much. Is this a glitch or is there something significant going on with the system? Because it seems a little early for Slackware 15?
Last edited by f.bluedevil on 3. Jan 2013, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Wolven

Re: 578 Upgrades?

Post by Wolven »

Same thing here. The system wants to "upgrade" all the x86_64 packages to i486 packages. Probably a glitch with the repo.

Edit:
Looks like some one made a mistake and uploaded the wrong PACKAGES.TXT to the 64-bit repo. All the packages in that list are i486 packages. The devs will probably fix this ASAP.
f.bluedevil

Re: 578 Upgrades?

Post by f.bluedevil »

The devs will probably fix this ASAP.

Yes, they appear to have already done so, no package updates this morning and thanks for the clarification.
jcoleman

Re: 578 Upgrades? [solved]

Post by jcoleman »

Oops - well in my infinite wisdom I let it go with the upgrades before going to bed - can't get into the system - all that comes up is a login for darkstar but I can't type anything in. Any fix or is this a re-install?

I was running 14 with 64 bit

Thanks
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

jcoleman wrote:Any fix or is this a re-install?
For me, it was a re-install...I suspect there might be a fix, but with an "oops" this size, I suspect it will be easier to just re-install (you do have your ~ on a separate partition, right :)
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

yes, all the important things get stored on a separate partition and then backed up every night to a removable hard drive. the "home" directory is more or less treated as a holding place or temp area.

Live and learn - I guess I was used to seeing *buntu's updates - sometimes there were just a few :lol:
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

jcoleman wrote: I guess I was used to seeing *buntu's updates - sometimes there were just a few :lol:
Or Linux Mint Debian Edition :)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

jcoleman wrote: Any fix or is this a re-install?
Maybe boot into runlevel 3 and see if you can type into it. Is so, then login as root and do a slapt-get --update && slapt-get --upgrade
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I don't see how this could have happened. What mirror were you all using?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

It's my fault :oops: :oops: :oops:
I made an error in adding a functionality in the repositories, on only with 64 bits.
I realize this this morning and corrected this as quickly as possible. Apparently no quickly enough, someone did the upgrade :cry:
If glibc has not been upgraded, it will still be possible to recover the system by chrooting on it from a Live CD, then upgrading back the packages, but that requires some skills :roll:

I'm very sorry…