Pulse Audio

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
nankura

Pulse Audio

Post by nankura »

Hey guys

ok basically. in the package manager gslapt i cant find anything for pulse audio, and in sorcery the pulse audio build fails. to be honest with you i cant remember the error message because ive been away for a while. this was about a month ago

And i have no clue how to setup pulse audio from source because i need all the dependancys and i need pavucontrol and the applet

Basically im wondering if theres a guide specific to slapt, to setup pulse audio, pavucontrol, and remove alsa - and yes i know with some tweaking i could just use alsa. i simply dont like it
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Pulse Audio

Post by mimosa »

You need to add a pulse group and user first; see the readme file. The error messages say so too. But maybe you did that and still had trouble?
nankura

Post by nankura »

yea i did that, the biggest trouble was building it through sourcery. and its not in slapt-get or gslapt
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Which version of Salix are you using? I just installed it in 13.37 from the console like this:

Code: Select all

# groupadd -g 216 pulse
# useradd -u 216 -g pulse -d /var/lib/pulse pulse
#slapt-src -u
#slapt-src -i pulseaudio
Also, the readme file says you need to have speex installed, which is available from slapt-get/gslapt. On my system, it was already there.

Assuming you've done all that ... please post any error messages
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I just successfully built it using sorcery, but it did fail twice because you need to do the following before trying to build:

root[rich]# groupadd -g 216 pulse
root[rich]#  useradd -g pulse -u 216 -d /var/lib/pulse pulse
Once i added the group and user sourcery had no problems building. If you still have a problem after adding the user and group, just post the last four of five lines from the scourcey log here and maybe we can spot the problem.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
nankura

Post by nankura »

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GUILIBS_CFLAGS
and GUILIBS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

fakeroot -- sh pavucontrol.SlackBuild Failed
doing the group through the terminal, got pulse audio installed fine, now the problem lays in paprefs and pavucontrol. both needed items, slapt-get they dont exsist, and in sourcery, i get this error above

Thats were the error occurs whilst using sorcery
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The problem with packages from src is frequently the dependencies. If you read the README (which you can do in Sourcery by clicking "Get information" instead of install) it will tell you what they are. In this case (pavucontrol) libcanberra and libglademm are needed too. The former seems to be present in my system, but not libglademm. You can check by typing the name into either gslapt or sourcery, or from a console,

#slapt-get -u #check package lists are up to date
#slapt-get --search libglademm
#slapt-get -i libglademm   # if applicable
If it's present in the repository, the name will appear, together with an indication if it is installed or not ('Yes' or 'no'). If not, install.

If nothing appears, then search src, either using sourcery, or from the command line:

#slapt-src -u
#slapt-src --search libglademm
#slapt-src -i libglademm
(Sometimes you might need to use the package in src because it is more up to date, but Salix's own repos are more reliable even if the version number is older, so if it works, it's usually a better choice.)

Basically, Gslapt/slapt-get handles dep checking automatically, but in the case of Sourcery/slapt-src, you need to deal with it manually. So always read the README file :)

As I'm writing this, I've successfully installed pavucontrol (needed libglademm, but libglademm's dep gtkmm was already installed). Paprefs, on the other hand, is giving me more trouble, and perhaps that has something to do with the way one needs to set up pulseaudio. Rich?

EDIT

Managed to do it by installing gconfmm from the Salix repos rather than src, and then - bizarrely - paprefs says it needs lynx, the console browser! But then it installed ok. My method all through has been just to look at the error messages and README files and try and work out what was missing. It can be a bit hit and miss but you generally get there in the end :) I also find it easier to see what's going on using the console, but that's a matter of habit and taste. I like to have a look at http://slackbuilds.org too for the README and other info.

#slapt-get -i gconfmm
#slapt-get -i lynx
#slapt-src -i paprefs
But of course the exact steps needed will depend on the state of the system you have.

As for how pulseaudio actually works, I'm curious to discover! ALSA doesn't always do everything I'd like it to :(
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

All my build SLKBUILDs for packages that are not in the 13.37 repository can be found in the relevant series here: http://people.salixos.org/pwatk/packages/current/

Oh and you don't need a pulse user and group to build the pulseaudio package, you can set these up after.

I found a list of dependencies I was kind of working from too if it helps: http://people.salixos.org/pwatk/pulseaudio.list
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

you don't need a pulse user and group to build the pulseaudio package
It did actually complain about this when I tried to build it! :) and helpful too, if these steps are needed to make use of the app.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

If it was up to me the doinst script would create the user and group upon installation but this isn't the Slackware way :roll: :) .