I did... it turns out I'm on 13.1. I followed the upgrade instructions from the Wiki without success I'm afraid, prob'ly another newbie mistake on my part.
Edited sources in /rtc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc making all the references "13.7" from "13.1."
Then (as root):
slapt-get -i spkg pkgtools (result: "No such file")
spkg -d spkg-pkgtools (result: "No such file")
slapt-get -i glibc (result: big ol' fat download)
slapt-get -i slapt-get (0 files downloaded, 0 files installed)
slapt-get -i util-linux (result: "No such file")
spkg -d util-linux-ng (result: "No such command")
slapt-get --upgrade (result: "0 files downloaded, 0 files installed")
slapt-get -i udev (result: "0 files downloaded, 0 files installed")
Opening the package manager and refreshing it got an error message about the sources.
Hey, I'm learning along the way, so why not. Perhaps when I added Xfce and removed LXDE I messed something up. So I've downloaded the Xfce 13.7 iso and will start over. I really don't mind all this, as long as I'm learning. I expected to break it the first few times anyway. Perhaps a fresh re-install will put me on the right track again, and it's hardly that much trouble.
Thank you for your patience! I'll check in after the re-install!