Razor-qt (Razor Qt Project) + Salix

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
posixru

Razor-qt (Razor Qt Project) + Salix

Post by posixru »

Razor-qt is an advanced, easy-to-use, and fast desktop environment based on Qt technologies. It has been tailored for users who value simplicity, speed, and an intuitive interface. Unlike most desktop environments, Razor-qt also works fine with weak machines.
While still a new project, Razor-qt already contains the key DE components: Panel, Desktop, Application launcher, Settings center, Sessions ---> Razor-qt screenshots

You can use either all of them or part of them. Razor-qt works with various WMs, most of Razor developers use Openbox. But it's no problem to take any modern WM from fwwm2 to kwin (yes, KDE without Plasma Desktop is possible too).

Razor-qt Web Site

Русский обзор (The Russian review)

PS: And for Salix there will be official packages? Can that is interesting to whom? For Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora, Arch Linux, Gentoo and even for Agilia Linux (Russian Slackware) already is, and for Salix isn't present! :(
Shador

Re: Razor-qt (Razor Qt Project) + Salix

Post by Shador »

I don't know whether there's anybody interested in packaging this or has the time at the very least.

Your best bet is to do it yourself or at least try to.
Salix is open to conributions by everybody, so you and every user is encouraged to contribute in whatever way he can.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

posixru wrote: It has been tailored for users who value simplicity, speed, and an intuitive interface. Unlike most desktop environments, Razor-qt also works fine with weak machines. (
It seems very interesting indeed!

Version 0.4 is available through Slapt-src/sourcery.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Do they offer a fast file manager?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

In my opinion, other than the fact that it's based on qt, there is nothing interesting about this at all. It is certainly heavier than xfce and lxde and there is no way anyone can get away with only using qt apps. In fact, the only thing that it's not heavier than, is probably KDE. As a DE, it is very spartan, has almost no features (yet?) and there's not much more than that. You'll have to use your own window manager (openbox will do), your own file manager (there is only qtfm which is qt and non-KDE based I think, and that's very basic too, pcmanfm is leaps ahead), your own terminal and pretty much everything else.
witek

Post by witek »

I built using this slackbuild:
http://ponce.cc/slackware/testing/razorqt/
more discussion here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... qt-919443/

As gapan said it is very spartan, has almost no features
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Since the talking is about razor-qt. On 31 December 2011 i made the package (SLKBUILD and binaries) for razor-qt 0.4 version. Here is the link for everyone might find useful.
http://people.salixos.org/djemos/razor-qt/
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've tried it on OpenSuSE. You can notice everywhere, that it is in an early stage. It's neither smooth nor fast compared to my openbox+tint2 setup. And when it comes to features, it's not really ahead, too. But still I think it's a interesting thing because of Qt. I'll give it a try again as soon as they have a great file manager and terminal app (the most important tools anyway) ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I've tried it on Salix KDE and i will totally agree with you. It is in early stage. It is faster comparing to heavy kde but cant do much with it. More tools need to add to it. But it is a interesting thing because of Qt.
VAA

Post by VAA »

I am agree, razor-qt is in early stage. I don't knew, what version You have used. Last is 0.4.1 and it is only second officially released. But I think it is very promising and noteworthy.

I use Slackware from 2005 and very like KDE2, KDE3. But every time I try to use KDE4 I am sick.
So now I use Slackware plus LXDE and KDE applications. Even now Razor-qt is possible to use instead. Let application will use KDE4 library but it will better than lot of GNOME libraries.

Unfortunately I have no experience to make packages and have installed Razor-qt from source. It is bad because it is difficult to update when new version made. So I have used 0.4.0 but 0.4.1 not yet :(