third party repositories

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
conta

third party repositories

Post by conta »

Can I use third party repositories?

Yes, of course you are free to add third party repositories (e.g. GSB, linuxpackages.net, ...) to slapt-get, but there may be issues:

Maybe it should be clarified that yes, Salix does handle package dependencies, but only for Salix & the 'special' Slackware repositories included in Salix default configuration for gslapt/slapt-get, not for any other third parties for whom we couldn't guarrantee any sort of quality or compatibility control.

One is always free to direct gslapt/slapt-get to any other third parties' package repositories, which may or may not handle dependencies, which may or may not be of sufficient quality and which may or may not be compatible with Salix. In such a case, you should know what you are doing because you may or may not end up breaking your system.
so what are your experiences with that?

any hints?
what should be their priority?
what repos are you having added? for what packeges?

eg: I need mpd, the actuall one in repo is not working, so I would install it from 3th part repo. But:

Code: Select all

glibc-solibs, which is required by avahi, is excluded
I could remove this exclusion, but is it safe?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: third party repositories

Post by thenktor »

glibc-solibs is part of the glibc package which is always installed. You can ignore this dep.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
conta

Post by conta »

thenktor wrote:glibc-solibs is part of the glibc package which is always installed. You can ignore this dep.
what it means?

1. i can remove it from excluded?

2. or: how can I ignore this dep?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

This means you already have the needed files and if this is the only dep that is missing you can use slapt-get --ignore-dep -i package-name to install the package.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The mpd package in the repository has been upgraded, it should work fine now.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

conta wrote:eg: I need mpd, the actuall one in repo is not working, so I would install it from 3th part repo. But:

Code: Select all

glibc-solibs, which is required by avahi, is excluded
I could remove this exclusion, but is it safe?
Same exact problem when I'm trying to install Chromium browser, and Totem (from: darkstar.ist.utl.pt)

I've installed totem-2.28.6-i486-3sl and totem-pl-parser-2.28.3-i486-1sl and Totem is working very well :)

But the real problem here was that I've needed to mark the rest of the needed packages (totem-pl-parser-2.28.3-i486-1sl) separately and it was not automated as it should be!

side-note: I've mentioned this problem earlier today at the Salix Jabber chat room
(09/20/2010 10:17:59 AM) zachary: why is glibc-solibs excluded? ( ^glibc-.* )
(09/20/2010 10:24:04 AM) zachary: I can't add zbar from http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-13.1/
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix