ffmpeg-compat-0.10.6 and audacity-2.0.3

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
Tim CowChip

ffmpeg-compat-0.10.6 and audacity-2.0.3

Post by Tim CowChip »

I have used audacity for a long time and one the features I appreciated most was its transcoding capabilities. This was accomplished by importing lame and ffmpeg libraries. There have been compatility issues with new ffmpeg releases as it seems ffmpeg is more actively developed than audacity so it hasn't been catching up with the latest ffmpeg.

The solution, ffmpeg-compat, it is part of the Arch "community" repository and Crux "contrib" ports
and now available for Salix-14.0

I had to rebuild Audacity with ffmpeg-0.11.2 downgraded to ffmpeg-0.10.6 for it to work with the older ffmpeg-compat libraries. I took the opportunity to use the newer audacity-2.0.3 source. The 2 packages work together very well with the rest of the system using ffmpeg-0.11.2 after it was re-upgraded.

Audacity-2.0.3 will "downgrade" Audacity-2.0.2 if you already had it installed. So the usual exclude measures would apply.
Last edited by Tim CowChip on 12. Mar 2013, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: ffmpeg-compat-0.10.6 and audacity-2.0.3

Post by JRD »

i'm very confused...not sure to have understand a thing apart compatibility issues :s
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

The audacity package for Salix-14.0 is compiled --without-ffmpeg. There is no option to include any ffmpeg library, such as libavcodec.so.53.61.100.

With this library included, you would be able to open a *mp4 file for example and export the sound track to a *.mp3 file, if you also include the lame library, libmp3lame.so.0.

The audacity package I uploaded was compiled --with-ffmpeg against version 0.10.6. The ffmpeg-compat package provides the ffmpeg-0.10.6 libraries for this audacity while not installing ffmpeg on the system.

You can still install ffmpeg-0.11.2 on your system as a dependency for vlc for example, while having transcoding capability in audacity at the same time.
ImageImage
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Now I understood :)