Salix LXDE edition 13.1 has been released

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix LXDE edition 13.1 has been released

Post by gapan »

Salix LXDE edition 13.1 has been released! Based on Slackware 13.1, it features the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, "an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment", with a clean look and feel. The main applications that complete the LXDE experience are the lightweight and fast PCManFM file manager and the popular Openbox window manager.

As with the standard, XFCE edition, this iso allows installation to be performed in three different modes, core, basic and full. The core mode installation is identical to the one you get from the XFCE edition. Basic will only install a minimal LXDE desktop with only midori and gslapt installed as extra and full will install everything that is included in the iso. That includes the lightweight Midori web browser, that uses the powerful webkit engine and the Claws-mail e-mail client, along with the Transmission torrent client and the Pidgin instant messaging client. Also included are the Abiword word processor, the Gnumeric spreadsheet and the epdfview pdf reader. The Whaawmp! Media Player is used as the main media application and is accompanied by the powerful Exaile music player/manager and the Brasero disc burning application. Viewnior is the default image file viewer and mtpaint can be used for editing them. The full set of the Salix system tools are of course included in this release.

Users are able to use the Gslapt package manager, or the command line equivalent slapt-get, to install extra software in their systems from Slackware and Salix repositories, with complete support for dependency resolution.

The iso image can be downloaded from our Sourceforge project page (464MB):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(md5sum: 261e043d58809bbd525bb8490ba0317d)

or by using a torrent client:
http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/iso/ ... so.torrent

As with every Salix release the full sources are available in the form of a source DVD iso image. This can be also downloaded from our Sourceforge project page (779MB):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(md5sum: 13061a1b398f0cd92dbdbe1451e88d9f)

Enjoy!

gapan
Antid Oto

Re: Salix LXDE edition 13.1 has been released

Post by Antid Oto »

Goog news, gapan! There will be a live cd version?
Greetings.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Antid Oto wrote:There will be a live cd version?
Have a look at the last discussion of the beta thread. ;)
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Thanks! I hadn't read the last part of that post.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

congrats on the release
I'll check it out over the weekend :mrgreen:
ikke

Post by ikke »

Congratulations!

Kindly advise whether there are differences between the RC1 iso and this one.

Regards.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:Kindly advise whether there are differences between the RC1 iso and this one.
Three packages were upgraded. lxsession, ktsuss and wpa_supplicant. You can upgrade them with slapt-get/gslapt anyway, no need to reinstall.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

It would be nice if you did a 64-bit build. :D Some people just like LXDE and will use it on higher end systems as well.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:It would be nice if you did a 64-bit build. :D Some people just like LXDE and will use it on higher end systems as well.
You can still install LXDE in a 64-bit Salix or Slackware using the LXDE packages in the repositories. The only thing you'll miss is the customized look.

The number of downloads for our 64-bit XFCE version is very small compared to the 32-bit XFCE version, much smaller than I originally thought it would be. I will consider putting effort behind creating a 64-bit LXDE when 64-bit downloads become at least half the number of 32-bit downloads for the XFCE version. Otherwise, it's just too much effort for very little gain and I prefer to throw my attention to other matters.
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:Three packages were upgraded. lxsession, ktsuss and wpa_supplicant. You can upgrade them with slapt-get/gslapt anyway, no need to reinstall.
Thank you very much. I had indeed installed the RC1 iso. Nice. I like it!

May I ask you what would be the best grub-entry for the Salix LXDE system in a "/bootgrub/menu.lst".

Ran also into the first problem : 'Brasero' does'nt see the disk in the CD reader / writer. This is strange because mounting the disk is no problem.

Code: Select all

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
ls /mnt/cdrom
CHECKSUMS.md5  PACKAGELIST  isolinux  kernels  salix
Any hint?
Thank you.