Salix 13.1alpha1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix 13.1alpha1

Post by gapan »

Here's Salix 13.1alpha1 in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Based on Slackware-current, it's released so users can test new features and changes since the last release in the 13.0 series and also for developers to be able to easily install an up-to-date clean system without having to go through installing 13.0 and upgrading that afterwards.

Here's a list of changes since 13.0.2:

* New and improved gtk system tools!
* Better support out of the box for Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other languages. Configuring SCIM is now part of the installer
* Fixed missing mkfs.msdos symlink in the 32-bits version.
* Fixed installation of LILO in manual mode in the installer.
* Hopefully fixed rarely (and randomly) occuring bug with fontconfig getting stuck at the end of installation.
* Fixed false detection of vfat and ntfs with no OS installed as windows partitions.
* Fixed properly identifying scsi hard drives and ram disks during installation.
* Fixed missing fonts that caused some screensavers to crash.
* Improved boot times
* Renamed confusingly named buttons when setting up user accounts.
* New artwork. It still needs some tuning though.
* Added salix-man package that provides a manpage with an overview of admininstration commands for Salix. Run "man salix" for more.
* Brasero replaces xfburn. It seems to work better with most people's hardware.
* Parole replaces Totem
* Viewnior replaces Ristretto
* Added Pitivi non-linear video editor
* Removed splashy, it doesn't work with KMS.
* All packages upgraded to their version in current

This hasn't been thoroughly tested, but it should work with no or minimal problems anyway. But please install and report any problems you might find.

You can download iso images from sourceforge:
32-bit: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download (md5: ae77095ef127de409938c8115f665f61)
64-bit: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download (md5: fcfd85eeccbfd74d7420670989a8205c)
rybarczykbr

Re: Salix 13.1alpha1

Post by rybarczykbr »

Great news!

Would it be possible to include gthumb by default? It is useful to resize multiples pictures at once (batch job). I think it is also a great picture viewer. I think evince is a better PDF viewer too, as it can display multiples pages in continuous way.

Thanks for this great OS!
lipk

Post by lipk »

Congrats!
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Installation was blazing fast, but not as much as the new booting time.

My Ati graphic card was configured perfectly out of the box (this was not the case with salix-13.0)

This is a very sweet release, everything seems to be working very well so far.

Very well done! ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
fredg

Post by fredg »

Thank you so much for these ISO gapan :)

For frenchies, annoucement translated there : http://fredgnix.blogspot.com/2010/04/sa ... lpha1.html

Best regards.

++
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

rybarczykbr wrote:Would it be possible to include gthumb by default? It is useful to resize multiples pictures at once (batch job). I think it is also a great picture viewer. I think evince is a better PDF viewer too, as it can display multiples pages in continuous way.
Viewnoir is the smaller and faster image viewer. gThumb is more than that and not really needed by most people, just get it from the repo then ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Arael

Post by Arael »

Another vote for evince which supports many formats:
  • PDF
    Postscript
    djvu
    tiff
    dvi
That's kinda long list of common formats which are not supported by the current default document viewer, not all of them at least.

Anyway,if you developers don't want to promote evince as the default document viewer it is not a problem for me as long as it is in the repository and I don't have to compile it myself. :D Lazy guy.

Nice changelog by the way. Pitivi could turn out to be useful. I don't know parole multimedia player but it seems a natural choice as Salix is Xfce oriented. Viewnoir is also an interesting new entry and I'm looking forward to try it.

man salix
is classy. ;)

The only thing I don't understand is the KMS story. Does this mean that no splash image will be available in the next Salix release? I have used KMS in my previous distro and other than the faster switching between the X and the virtual console I don't know what advantages are there. Sure the splash image isn't fundamental but I like it and find it artistic.
^__________^

Basically, Salix 13.1 will be released at the same time as Slackware 13.1, right?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Arael wrote:Another vote for evince which supports many formats:
OK, we're probably switch to evince in future versions. :)
Arael wrote:The only thing I don't understand is the KMS story. Does this mean that none splash image will be available in the next Salix release? I used KMS and other than the faster switching between X and virtual console I don't know what other advantages are there. Sure the splash image isn't fundamental but I like it and find it artistic. ^__________^
Yes, we probably won't have a splash screen in the next release. Nothing seems to work consistently for now. Splashy doesn't work at all with KMS, you only get a blank screen instead. There is a workaround, but it's really ugly. There are other solutions that work with KMS, but they don't work at all if KMS is not supported, so they're not a solution either. Disabling KMS completely is not a good idea, my intel refuses to launch X if I do. KMS also gives me native resolution in the framebuffer, which is absolutely great and I'd take that instead of a splash screen anytime. We could have a splash screen if we compiled our own kernel, but we really want to stay compatible with slackware with that, so we won't do that. Instead of having a splash screen, I thought that we could minimize the need for a splash screen and so I've tweaked the init scripts and now my laptop boots into xfce in 32 seconds instead of the 72 it needed before. I also colorized the boot messages a bit, so they're not that boring anymore. :D
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Geeks like boot messages and we are... :ugeek: :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
salix2501

Post by salix2501 »

It is looking good!

Are you planning to include Google Chrome browser as default browser or 2nd option???