Salix Xfce 14.0.1RC1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.0.1RC1

Post by gapan »

Here is Salix Xfce 14.0.1RC1. This release is scheduled to become the final 14.0.1 release in a few days time.

Compared to the Salix Xfce 14.0 release from last November, this one has an upgraded 3.2.45 kernel, provided by Slackware, that fixes several important security issues, LibreOffice updated to version 4.x, an update to Midori, our main browser to version 0.5.2 along with an updated webkit engine that includes a lot of stability fixes, plus a lot more security updates to several packages like pidgin, perl, Xorg etc. A couple of minor bugs that were also present after the original 14.0 release are fixed now. There are no other major changes since 14.0.

Users that have installed 14.0 and have kept up with package updates do not need to replace their installations with this one, but new installations should be made with this iso, to spare the user a lot of package upgrades (including a kernel upgrade) after installation. Of course installing for the sake of testing this release would be great.

As always, this release is available in 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. You can download the iso images from Sourceforge or by using a torrent client (thanks to laprjns for creating the torrents).

Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
Torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/14.0/iso/ ... so.torrent
md5sum: e14205d41369c92505b3911a58cad610

Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
Torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/14.0/is ... so.torrent
md5sum: 99aee23832679bc4bb1d512a92ff5977

Thanks for testing!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0.1RC1

Post by mimosa »

EDIT I have installed *the 64 bit version*. Maybe 32 bits later.

Successfully installed. Somewhere before Samba, I saw a message flash by about unable to find or do something, but it was too quick to see.

The font in ttys and in terminal displays badly, though I suspect this is an artifact of converting from hdmi out (shiny new box) to vga then dvi. However the fonts are otherwise ok. No, I tell a lie, also terrible in the "Salix" menu. I'm sure it's local.

I am installing vlc and MPlayer and will report any multimedia problems with that or anything else over the next few days.

Please, Salix users, do test these if you can. I was hopeful my own new hardware might trip the kernel up, but no luck so far. Maybe you have something very old or very new at home that will :twisted:

EDIT Also, please do report if you test and (as is very likely :)) experience no problems at all. That is useful information.
Last edited by mimosa on 6. Jul 2013, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Testing Salix Xfce 14.0.1RC1

1. Installation
Download the 32 bit edition and successfully installed in virtualbox, choosing greek.
Next reboot and installed kernel-source and the guest additions. Reboot again to enable guest additions.

2. Installed multimedia codecs and played mp3 files. Run a lot of applications (almost everything) in multimedia sections, graphics, settings system etc. everything is working fine. Installed mplayer and vlc and testing them. Both are working as expected.

3. Open midori and played videos from YouTube and also live streaming from ert online (greek television)

4. networking is working fine. Samba is working fine also finding all shares on my network.

5. Libreoffice is working fine.
Open terminal. Fonts in terminal or in menus are looking fine.

6. Installed firefox. It is working fine. (played videos online)

7. installed conky. (running firefox watching live stream, system gets 317 MB of ram, without live streaming gets 290 MB RAM)
Running midori gets 205 MB of memory, watching live streaming gets 260 MB RAM)
Virtualbox has 875 MB RAM dedicated to salix-xfce

8. Conclusion
System is running fine without any problems.

Salix xfce 14.0.1 is an excellent stable distro for using as a productive system for everyday use.

Great work gapan.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Compared to the Salix Xfce 14.0 release from last November, this one has an upgraded 3.2.45 kernel, provided by Slackware, that fixes several important security issues,
Ahhh I was going to ask the question tihs week of What Kernel.
I have been running, as you know, the 14.0. This included the 3.2.29 kernel, I believe. I do get prompted by slapt-get to upgrade to 3.2.45 but I have the all kernel packages frozen on updates. So, I can now remove the lock upgrade the kernel to 3.2.45 and lock it down again..
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

gapan wrote:Of course installing for the sake of testing this release would be great.
Installed the RC1-32bit from USB stick...no problems there (didn't expect any :)

Had no problems installing or using the 319.32 Nvidia Driver (ditto)

As there doesn't seem to be a formal testing protocal established, I just set about doing my normal daily routine (a little surfing, a little music, a little video, a little pr0n...er...nevermind the last one). Had absolutely no problems with anything.

Looks like another painless Salix install. What else would anyone expect?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

formal testing protocol
is something that's been mooted. Do you have any thoughts as to what it should contain?

One thing (though I think pretty unlikely to be relevant in this case) is for some tests to be done with Core and Basic installs, not just Full.

I suppose another thing is whether or not you have problems to report, say what hardware you have. I didn't do so myself, but it does make sense.
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

mimosa wrote:is something that's been mooted. Do you have any thoughts as to what it should contain?
At the risk of being pilloried (again) for saying it, the 'buntus have a very good system in place for pre-release (daily, alpha and beta) and release testing. I doubt that Salix could devote the amount of resources that the 'buntus can (and do) for testing and reporting, but it wouldn't hurt to look at <what> they are testing for and see if we can adapt some of it to Salix, rather than starting from scratch.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

resources
... depend on community participation. I will certainly have a look at what some other distros are doing (thanks for the suggestion). For all sorts of reasons (principally scale) it might not transfer to Salix, but however obvious that might be, it remains a starting point for thinking how a structure could be set up for community participation. The first step is interest, and yours is very welcome :)
Last edited by mimosa on 7. Jul 2013, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Successfully installed 32-bit edition in Virtualbox inside the 64-bit one. Repalced openjre with the closed source one, to please Brazilian internet banking. Installed Guest Additions. Installed Firefox. Everything works.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I just experienced a crash in the 64-bit RC1. I selected a fair amount of text in midori and copied it to the clipboard with ctrl-c. When I opened pyroom, everything froze. alt-sysrq-r,u,s,b and ctrl-alt-backspace/del were ineffective, and it was also not possible (with no keyboard) to move to a tty with ctrl-alt Fx. I had to do a hard reboot.