Salix Xfce 14.0RC2

sjox
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0RC2

Post by sjox »

Hi, i have a question:
If i want to open an document and search for a matching application (right-mouse-click), then i see two or three entries of the same application!
This is a litte bit confusing!
I found out, there are also multiple entries (desktop-files) in "/usr/share/applications" of the same application.
(eg. gtkalsasetup-kde.desktop and gtkalsasetup.desktop)
If i delete for example "gtkalsasetup-kde.desktop", i only see one "ALSA Soundcard" entry in "Others Applications" (thats much prettier!)
The last line of "gtkalsasetup-kde.desktop" is: "OnlyShowIn=KDE"
Is this a bug?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

No it is not. This means that gtkalsasetup-kde will appear on menus only when you run kde environment.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Neither vlc nor parole will play DVDs. Having said that, I haven't tested many. One that didn't play is fine with vlc in 13.37.

I have a feeling this has been mentioned before.

I tried salix-codecs installer to make sure, and it wasn't present, indicating I had already run it. So I reinstalled and ran it again, from console. The output made me think it might not be working properly. I will post below when I boot back into the RC.

This is all in i486.

EDIT I don't think the problem is salix-codecs installer, having run it again in Xfce and seen a reassuring message that the codecs are already all installed. Here is the console output anyway:

Code: Select all

root[cashew]# salix-codecs-installer
gpg: Signature made Tue 30 Oct 2012 21:36:12 BRT using DSA key ID 40102233
gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
gpg: Signature made Wed 19 Sep 2012 20:59:05 BRT using DSA key ID 40102233
gpg: Signature made Fri 16 Nov 2012 12:06:54 BRT using DSA key ID A5629B42
error attempting to read pkg description
root[cashew]# 
EDIT2
vlc is also very sluggish and jerky playing an .mkv file - so this isn't just related to physical disks.
EDIT3 Just discovered that vlc now has a wrapper. That solves the mkv problem but not the DVD one.
EDIT4 VLC also fails to play a disk copied to .iso. Clicking on the items in the initial menu does nothing, and then VLC cycles through stills from the film in sequence, as if it were trying to play it but not getting any traction. I'm pretty sure these files play flawlessly in 13.37.

This is definitely an issue that would make me delay upgrading from 13.37.
Envious

Post by Envious »

I had similar problem to you with VLC, however I just got impatient and installed SMPlayer and haven't looked back since, it plays everything without problem, seems to handle GPU decoding well and if I close the program during playback it remembers its last position.

Im not even sure VLC uses the gstreamer plugins or not, I know they have a lot of their own codecs that come with the player.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Here's the latest vlc builds. They haven't made their way to the 14.0 repo yet. Give them a try and see if it fixes your problems.
http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/vlc/2.0.4/
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I tried SMPlayer, and it complains it "can't identify" the installed MPlayer version.

Version reported: MPlayer 1.1-4.7.1

... and it asks me to select the correct version.

slapt-get --show MPlayer 
says:

Package Version: 1.1_20120701-i486-2

The dialogue box isn't working (clicking to select version or OK or cancel, no response), but that may have something to do with the fact that I'm using XMonad; I've been having similar problems with Java menus in both RC2 with Xmonad and Ratpoison 13.37.

I'll add to this post if I have better luck using xfce.

EDIT The menu problem goes away in xfce, but SMPlayer doesn't behave much better than anything else:

1) A real DVD gives me the Green Screen of Death, with audio as normal (skips the menu and goes to the first real track)

2) That iso file just briefly produces a green screen then goes back to the picture of a film projector

3) The mkv file behaves as 1) - the seconds and minutes tick away as a green screen is displayed, with audio.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi,

I installed 14.0 RC2 [32-bit] on a test portion of my HD (root partition of 12 GB, /home partition of 23 GB) and have been using it most of today. Generally, things have behaved as expected. I would like to report one snag I've encountered with scanning, though (which may be my fault -- I'm not sure).

We have an old Canon CanoScan N1220U USB flatbed scanner, which works fine in Salix 13.37 LXDE (in addition to other distros). In 14.0 RC2, Simple Scan starts but has the error message "No scanners detected". I installed XSane; it starts but complains that there are "No devices available."

XSane works if I invoke it from the Terminal as root user (after dire warnings that this isn't recommended and that I'm proceeding at my own risk). If Simple Scan is invoked from the Terminal as root, the scanner sounds like it's straining and the program segfaults.

I belong to both the scanner and lp groups:

david[~]$ groups
users lp floppy audio video cdrom plugdev power netdev scanner
Am I missing something? If anyone has suggestions/advice, I'd be glad to try it and to post back the results.
Last edited by gaucho on 19. Nov 2012, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
Atip

Post by Atip »

Installed vlc with gslapt. Does not play DVD. :(
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/hdb'. Check the log for details.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///run/media/user/DVDVolume/VIDEO_TS'. Check the log for details.
Can't find a log

Parole and xine
play DVD just fine. :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have had exactly the same scanning problems in 13.37. I only didn't report it because I use that machine so rarely and it would be tricky to test. I can well imagine it would be the same with the RC, then.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Neither vlc nor parole will play DVDs.
There is now a new vlc package in the repos. Try with that.

Also, are you on i486 or x86_64? Can you try parole after removing the gst-plugins-ugly package?