This version is build using SaLT (Salix Live Technology), a new system of Live tools for Slackware-based distros: https://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/svnro ... alt/trunk/ (See the README for all the features)
This includes the same applications and packages as the regular Salix Xfce 13.37, 32 or 64 bits, with the following additions:
- isomaster, for managing ISO files;
- gparted, for managing partitions;
- grub2, for a beautiful boot menu and options;
- remmina, for connecting to RDP server (like Windows or VirtualBox 4+), VNC server, NX server, SSH/SCP;
- salix-live-installer, for installing Salix on a hard disk;
- persistence-wizard, for creating a persistence file in order to keep changes upon reboot in the live environment;
- liveclone, for creating your own custom live CD/USB.
Some boot options are not yet been included in the grub2 boot menu. So here are the missing ones:
- identfile, to change the file looked into the live CD. Only useful for those who remaster this beta version;
- savefile, to change the file looked for the persistence file.
The grub2 menu can now help you select the root password at boot and set a network proxy.
The default root password is live.
You don't need a password for the regular and auto-logged in user one.
The startup guide is still being written and can be found here http://people.salixos.org/tsuren/doc/Sa ... draft3.pdf
You can download the ISOs from here:
There is also a way to boot the LiveCD through PXE. For this, you need a special initrd. Here it is, for 32 bits:
- http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive ... 23-1135.xz
- http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive ... 135.xz.md5
What have been corrected since the alpha:
- Improve USB support using syslinux (or extlinux): no need to have the gap before the first partition anymore;
- Support partitionless USB disk;
- Fix the problem for keyboard layouts synchronisation on X11 starting;
- Fix the problem for gdm autologin on start up;
- Missing loadkeymap in grub.cfg;
- Improve proxy support;
- Grub2 "embed.cfg" use a separate partition detection than SaLT;
- Ibus option in the grub2 menu;
- "no sound" option in the grub2 menu;
- root password option in the grub2 menu;
- proxy option in the grub2 menu;
- Special cheatcode for dealing with special USB keyboard configuration (no menu yet);
- Packages updated;
- Remmina replaces rdesktop.
Thanks a lot to all the people who had tested the alpha version.