Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is now available! This release is a major step towards 13.2. The default installation is now feature complete and should be free of major bugs and annoyances. Users are encouraged to upgrade, this release should be stable enough for day to day use.
This release comes with the Xfce 4.6.2 desktop environment, firefox 3.6.13 and claws-mail 3.7.8. Libreoffice 3.3 is included by default in full mode installations and localization packages for it for more than a hundred languages are available through the package management tools. Exaile 0.3.2 is the default music player and parole 0.2.0.2 is used as the default movie player. Pitivi 0.13.5 is included for video editing tasks and brasero 2.32.1 can be used to burn optical media. Extra multimedia codecs can be installed with a few clicks by using the "Install multimedia codecs" tool from the Xfce menu. Gimp 2.6.11 is included for all image editing needs and evince can be used to view pdf and postscript documents. Except gslapt and slapt-get, the tools to install binary packages from Salix and Slackware repositories, sourcery
and slapt-src are graphical and command line tools that can be used to install thousands of software packages from source. A lot of other software is included, like the transmission torrent client and the zim desktop wiki.
The most notable changes since the 13.2alpha1 release, include:
* IBus has replaced SCIM as the default input platform for Chinese, Japanese etc. Ibus is more modern than SCIM and should work better with all applications, including Mozilla Firefox
* The keyboard configuration system tools (both GTK+2 and console) have been upgraded to support configuring of IBus
* Xorg has been upgraded. The nouveau driver for nvidia cards is now included in the default installation
* LibreOffice has been upgraded to the final, stable 3.3 version
* The Linux kernel has been upgraded to 18.104.22.168 and glibc has been upgraded to 2.13
* The standard installation is now feature complete and in terms of functionality should be very close to what the final version will be
* The Salix-current repositories now include more than 700 extra packages and are available through the slapt-get/gslapt package manager alongside the packages provided by the Slackware-current repositories.
* Hundreds of other packages have been updated in the and Salix and Slackware current repositories. You can view the respective changelogs to get a complete list.
You can get the iso images from our Sourceforge project page, using the following links:Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 (32-bit):http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 588MB, md5: 80388194d6ff11ff23870ea4c60e346d)Salix64 Xfce 13.2beta1 (64-bit):http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 578MB, md5: 4e178d3ebbb60b16274f22af8036d209)
Please use these images for testing and kindly report any problems you might find. Especially nvidia video card users are requested to report how the nouveau driver performs and if there are any specific problems with it.