Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

Post by gapan »

Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is now available! This release is a major step towards 13.2. The default installation is now feature complete and should be free of major bugs and annoyances. Users are encouraged to upgrade, this release should be stable enough for day to day use.

This release comes with the Xfce 4.6.2 desktop environment, firefox 3.6.13 and claws-mail 3.7.8. Libreoffice 3.3 is included by default in full mode installations and localization packages for it for more than a hundred languages are available through the package management tools. Exaile 0.3.2 is the default music player and parole 0.2.0.2 is used as the default movie player. Pitivi 0.13.5 is included for video editing tasks and brasero 2.32.1 can be used to burn optical media. Extra multimedia codecs can be installed with a few clicks by using the "Install multimedia codecs" tool from the Xfce menu. Gimp 2.6.11 is included for all image editing needs and evince can be used to view pdf and postscript documents. Except gslapt and slapt-get, the tools to install binary packages from Salix and Slackware repositories, sourcery and slapt-src are graphical and command line tools that can be used to install thousands of software packages from source. A lot of other software is included, like the transmission torrent client and the zim desktop wiki.

The most notable changes since the 13.2alpha1 release, include:
* IBus has replaced SCIM as the default input platform for Chinese, Japanese etc. Ibus is more modern than SCIM and should work better with all applications, including Mozilla Firefox
* The keyboard configuration system tools (both GTK+2 and console) have been upgraded to support configuring of IBus
* Xorg has been upgraded. The nouveau driver for nvidia cards is now included in the default installation
* LibreOffice has been upgraded to the final, stable 3.3 version
* The Linux kernel has been upgraded to 2.6.35.11 and glibc has been upgraded to 2.13
* The standard installation is now feature complete and in terms of functionality should be very close to what the final version will be
* The Salix-current repositories now include more than 700 extra packages and are available through the slapt-get/gslapt package manager alongside the packages provided by the Slackware-current repositories.
* Hundreds of other packages have been updated in the and Salix and Slackware current repositories. You can view the respective changelogs to get a complete list.

You can get the iso images from our Sourceforge project page, using the following links:

Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 (32-bit):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 588MB, md5: 80388194d6ff11ff23870ea4c60e346d)

Salix64 Xfce 13.2beta1 (64-bit):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(size: 578MB, md5: 4e178d3ebbb60b16274f22af8036d209)

Please use these images for testing and kindly report any problems you might find. Especially nvidia video card users are requested to report how the nouveau driver performs and if there are any specific problems with it.

Have fun!
Duncan_Idaho

Re: Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

cool! can't wait for the stable release :mrgreen:

but why xfce 4.6 instead of 4.8?
maximus

Post by maximus »

Duncan_Idaho wrote:but why xfce 4.6 instead of 4.8?
Because the core Xfce package comes from Slackware directly, which is currently at 4.6.2. It doesn't look likely that 4.8 will be available for the 13.2 release.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

And probably 4.8 is full of new bugs :mrgreen: If you really want to, you can try http://connie.slackware.com/~rworkman/xfce-4.8/
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Almost certainly a bad burn (the download was ok) but I'm reporting it just in case.

I chose the fully automatic install, and it gave me an error message about a package gnome-icons-something. Then the installer died on Gstreamer plugins.

I'll check the integrity of the CD later - if it checks out, then I suppose it is a problem with the drive.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

I just installed 13.2b1 this morning and am running into a couple odd issues. One, I can't use "parole --xv disable". it gives me a no such command error although it works with other distros. I also installed VLC 1.1.7 and it won't change appearance when I force window style to GTK+ to match my theme.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

"Nouveau" made a great progress, at least for my card. Works like a charm. Better than nv !
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

On the 14th I downloaded and installed 13.1.alpha1 all went well and I proceeded install things that were missing, e.g. claws mail and stuff I had previously compiled and installed on 13.1. On the 15th I wanted to install vbox4.0.2 but wanted to do it with the kernel for 13.2. I saw that the kernel had changed to 2.6.32.11 in salix current at sourceforge so I edited my slapt-getrc accordingly an ran gslapt.

Once update was finished I noted quite a few packages to be installed/upgraded along with the kernel. I allowed them all to be installed.

Today gslapt update has nothing to upgrade or install so does this mean I'm now running 13.2beta1?
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

justwantin wrote:Today gslapt update has nothing to upgrade or install so does this mean I'm now running 13.2beta1?
Effectively yes, but 13.2beta1 includes everything that was missing from the alpha. If you installed everything you want/need, you're ok.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Is there anything different with the claws mail in 13.2beta1 and the install from 13.1?
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net