Brasero can't detect blank CD - solution!

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jaycee

Brasero can't detect blank CD - solution!

Post by jaycee »

It seems I've solved my own problem, and I thought I'd share the solution (kindly supplied by silenc3r here - http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95848).
On the LXDE edition of Salix 13.1, my laptop wasn't able to detect the blank CD-R I inserted (i.e. no desktop icon, nothing in /mnt subdirectories, and Brasero couldn't detect it).
The solution? Basically, download gvfs with Gslapt, and type "dbus-launch brasero" in a terminal. Done! :) Unfortunately, opening Brasero normally, or through the file to be burned, still results in non-detection of the blank CD-R... still, 'tis better than nothing...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Brasero can't detect blank CD - solution!

Post by gapan »

Thank you jaycee. I'd like to know if this is a more general problem and not just a couple of isolated cases that might have to do with specific hardware. Everything seems to be working fine here so I can't really tell. Maybe we could/should fix it in the lxsession or brasero packages.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Same problem here with lxde & brasero. Everything works fine in Xfce.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Can you please tell me if this brasero package works?
http://pnboy.pinguix.com/gapan/salix/brasero/

Remove gvfs if it's installed first. See if it works. If it doesn't, install gvfs and try again.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have been having this problem with Salix 13.1 xfce. Thought it might be a hardware problem, but when I can get some time on that machine, I'll try the suggestion here and report back.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Not really sure if this is a problem or not, but it seemed odd to me so I'm posting. I was trying to confirm the "can't detect black CD"problem and removed gvfs. When I reinstalled gvfs, it pulled in two more dependencies.

Code: Select all

root[rich]# spkg --remove gvfs
Removing package gvfs-1.0.3-i486-1gv...
root[rich]# slapt-get -i gvfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libnl bluez gvfs 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1.1MB of archives.
After unpacking 4.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
1/3 Get http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-13.1/ libnl 1.1-i486-1 [116.0kB]...Done
2/3 Get http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-13.1/ bluez 4.64-i486-1 [412.0kB]...Done
3/3 Get http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/ gvfs 1.0.3-i486-1gv [621.0kB]...Done
This may be a red herring for this topic, but I posted it just in case . BTW, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Yes, this package works for me if I install gvfs as well.

Thank you :)
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Hi Gapan. Your custom package doesn't solve the problem. You don't need to update the current package in the repos.. I tried installing and uninstalling gvfs, and the real problem, I think, is a conflict between Brasero, gvfs and HAL, in fact Brasero recognizes cd / dvd, but will not eject the cd / dvd. In the terminal the program asks about:

** (Brasero: 2261): WARNING **: Failed to restore the power system manager: The name org.gnome.SessionManager Was Not Provided by any. Service files

I didn't find anything about that yet, however, there is a temporary solution that lets you record and burn ISOs, but doesn't allow copying cd/dvd to cd/dvd (copy 1:1). Before opening Brasero, put in the console (as root):

umount /media/"Title of cd/dvd"
example: umount /media/Music

Open Brasero, you can record and burn cd/dvd images without problems. I keep looking for a solution (or should we use Xfburn or k3b?). Greetings.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

This is odd. This custom new package + gvfs really did the trick on my setup. :?:

Any other feedback ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Antid Oto, the not-ejecting bug was a different one than the one discussed here. In any case, a new brasero package is now in the repositories and if you upgrade to it, you will also get gvfs and gnome-mount, which should solve both issues.