accessing files on FAT partition_SOLVED

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

accessing files on FAT partition_SOLVED

Post by mimosa »

I've just installed Salix on a machine which also has WIndows on it, and a separate partition for Windows data.

When I try to open a file (for instance, an .rtf with OpenOffice Writer), I get an error message saying /path/filename does not exist.

I assumed something had gone wrong with the permissions I set on these directories during the install, and so did

Code: Select all

chmod -R a+r /windows/os
chmod -R a+rw /windows/data
but that didn't help. Really, I should have checked the permissions first ...
Last edited by mimosa on 2. Jun 2010, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: accessing files on FAT partition

Post by gapan »

The FAT filesystem does not support permissions as linux filesystems do. The permissions that are used are the ones specified when mounting the partition. What are the respective lines in your /etc/fstab?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

For the data partition, which is the important one, the last items are:

vfat defaults 1 0

... from memory I'm afraid, because I have managed to cripple my Salix (it can't find its /home partition) through fiddling with another problem, and was only able to access /etc/fstab through xterm.

This permissions problem sounds like a matter of general linux knowledge rather than a problem specific to Salix, that is, it's probably something I ought to know ;) Looking at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

I'd guess I should edit the file to replace 'defaults' with some other settings including rw? user?

I'm puzzled by the setting for dump-freq, but imagine it has nothing to do with permissions.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Try to mount with:

Code: Select all

defaults,rw,uid=1000,gid=100
change the uid to the one of your user, if it's not 1000.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm going to have to shelve this problem for now because I have messed up my Salix installation by too much fiddling! However, your suggestion sounds as if it should work, so I'll mark this as SOLVED (can't see how here, but I'll look after posting this).

Thanks for your help.