sbopkg not installing?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Cann0n

sbopkg not installing?

Post by Cann0n »

I installed sbopkg and couldn't get it to install compiled packages.

Here is the error:

Code: Select all

Done building package for locale-gettext.
Built package: locale-gettext-1.05-x86_64-2_SBo.tgz
/tmp/sbopkg/sbopkg-sbooutputdir/locale-gettext-1.05-x86_64-2_SBo.tgz /tmp/sbopkg/sbopkg-sbooutputdir/locale-gettext-1.05-x86_64-2_SBo.tgz
ERROR: Package file does not exist. (/tmp/sbopkg/sbopkg-sbooutputdir/locale-gettext-1.05-x86_64-2_SBo.tgz%/tmp/sbopkg/sbopkg-sbooutputdir/locale-gettext-1.05-x86_64-2_SBo.tgz)
ERROR: Package upgrade failed!
Done upgrading/installing package.
So, here is how i fixed it.

vim /usr/sbin/sbopkg
go to line :3171

Change

upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new $OLDPKG%"$PKG"
To

upgradepkg $PKG

NOTE

This problem is because Slackware uses pkgtools and Salix uses spkg, which is the same thing, just a bit different (better in my opinion, but don't tell that to the guys in #slackware). It doesn't support the % command, which is the old way of seperating old packages from the new. This is because sbopkg was written specifically for pkgtools.

Also, it's not my fault you tear up your system. :D
Last edited by Cann0n on 21. Mar 2010, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: sbopkg not installing?

Post by gapan »

Don't know about sbopkg, but I know this:

# slapt-get --search locale-gettext
perl-locale-gettext-1.05-i486-2ab [inst=no]: perl-locale-gettext (message handling functions)
Anyway, thanks for sharing this, the original line from sbopkg seems weird.

Oh, this is not a salix bug obviously, moving to the problems section.
chess

Post by chess »

Hello - I am the creator of sbopkg and one of three sbopkg developers. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was pointed to this thread by a Slackware and Salix user. I know many Salix users who are using sbopkg without any issue, but I admit that I have never tried Salix (and I do not believe my two co-developers have either) and so I do not know about any Salix-specific package tools. In any event, yes, sbopkg is primarily focused on Slackware itself and, of course, the SlackBuilds.org repository. However, if folks would like better support for Salix in sbopkg, we welcome patches/diffs etc. If that one line is an issue, perhaps a simple conditional to test if the host OS is Salix and if so, to use a different command to upgrade. Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hey chess,

the only difference is that we're using spkg instead of the original pkgtools by default and installpkg/upgradepkg/removepkg are in fact wrapper scripts for spkg. So, I'm guessing you could check for the existence of spkg and use it if it's present, or else use the original pkgtools upgradepkg. Something like:

if [ -x /sbin/spkg ]; then
  spkg -u --reinstall --install-new $PKG
else
  upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new $OLDPKG%"$PKG"
fi
I haven't looked at the sbopkg code at all, but I'm guessing that will fix it. This should also help slackware users that have spkg installed and want to use that over the original pkgtools, without removing the original pkgtools from their systems.
chess

Post by chess »

Yep, it looks like something like that might work. I will install Salix in a VM (I've been meaning to do that anyway since I've heard such good things about Salix) and try doing some tests. In the meantime, if any Salix user would like to help test, please feel free and let me know if you run into any issues. You can post here or find me on freenode (nick is 'chess') and I'm usually in #slackware, #slackbuilds, and #sbopkg.

We also use 'removepkg' in a couple of places and you mention that on Salix, these are wrappers for spkg. Are there any differences with Salix's removepkg vs. pkgtools?

As an aside, the reason we do the $OLDPKG%"$PKG" in the code is that over time we have come across packages that have odd naming conventions or they change names or something strange like that, so in order to avoid problematic outcomes, we pass the 'old package' along with the 'new package' to upgradepkg so it knows what to remove and what to install.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, there's no difference in how removepkg works. In fact I think the only difference in any tool is that upgradepkg doesn't accept the $OLDPKG%"$PKG" syntax.
oscar

Post by oscar »

I can confirm that the gapan suggested fix works perfectly. I hope it will be adopted upstream.
I just checked the svn trunk code and the fix is still not present.
Sbopkg is a great piece of software!
Thanks.