Just completed upgrading

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
barnabyh

Just completed upgrading

Post by barnabyh »

Hi all,

Not a problem really, just wanted to say that I've been upgrading this my original Salix (XFCE) install now since 13.0.2 was released. Not a man feat, both Ubuntu and Debian never managed this on the same PC, admittedly I haven't tried them on this machine any more since 2009.
I went to 13.1 shortly after it was released but late in 2010 the towers went into storage due to moving a lot. Now that I have access again I upgraded to 13.37 and then straight to 14.0 the same day. Even upgraded the kernel to current as I hoped the ralink rt2870usb wireless would be better supported. Turned out after 1 1/5 days of fiddling that Wicd was to blame and all that was needed was to switch to NetworkManager. What a waste of time. Compiled kernel modules for the latest Virtualbox 4.2.12. Cleaned the system out a bit and it runs like a champ.

So, just here to say thank you to the Salix team for providing such detailed upgrade instructions, that actually work as intended if one follows the steps. And to Slackware for staying simple in design and package format so that things are easy to fix when something goes wrong, rare enough.

Cheers,
Barnaby
barnabyh

Re: Just completed upgrading

Post by barnabyh »

Btw, my problem with the rt2870/3070 chip was that it saw networks in Wicd but was unable to connect to an encrypted network. It looks a lot like the issue discussed in this thread on LQ http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175431191/.

After confirming with lsmod that Manjaro had indeed the same modules loaded but connected without problem, replacing Wicd with NetworkManager did the trick.