Gedit prerequisit pygtksourceview build problem.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

Gedit prerequisit pygtksourceview build problem.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I would like to install Gedit, but I am unable to get to that point, as I am experiencing errors building pygtksourceview in Sorcery:

Code: Select all

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl"
compilation error: file /usr/share/pygobject/xsl/ref-html-style.xsl line 4 element import
xsl:import : unable to load http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl
make[2]: *** [build_stamp] Error 5
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/slapt-src/python/pygtksourceview/pygtksourceview-2.10.1/docs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/slapt-src/python/pygtksourceview/pygtksourceview-2.10.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
fakeroot -- sh pygtksourceview.SlackBuild Failed
The file referred to in this URL can be downloaded manually, so I don't understand why Sorcery is kicking back an error on the issue.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Gedit prerequisit pygtksourceview build problem.

Post by mimosa »

Is gtksourceview installed?
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

mimosa wrote:Is gtksourceview installed?
Hi again mimosa,

Yes, it is installed.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

You need linuxdoc-tools

root[rich]# slapt-get --i linuxdoc-tools
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linuxdoc-tools 
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

laprjns wrote:You need linuxdoc-tools

linuxdoc-tools 
That sorted it. Many thanks.
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

laprjns wrote:You need linuxdoc-tools

linuxdoc-tools 
As a matter of interest, how did you figure that out? I attempted to install gedit and got stuck at the same point as globetrotterdk.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I thought so too but couldn't remember the name, also wasn't completley sure, so didn't post about it. The last few lines of the output reminded me of an occasion when I had a similar problem, and spent quite a while rooting around fruitlessly. The linuxdoc-tools are probably something a lot of people who do a bit of development have knocking around on their system for one reason or another, so it would be an easy dependency to miss when packaging: like cmake as a build dep, which is another common one.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

mimosa wrote:I thought so too but couldn't remember the name, also wasn't completley sure, so didn't post about it. The last few lines of the output reminded me of an occasion when I had a similar problem, and spent quite a while rooting around fruitlessly. The linuxdoc-tools are probably something a lot of people who do a bit of development have knocking around on their system for one reason or another, so it would be an easy dependency to miss when packaging: like cmake as a build dep, which is another common one.
Thanks for the tip about cmake. I jut installed that as it is another dependency that I normally wouldn't have installed and could easily miss in the future.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

knome wrote:As a matter of interest, how did you figure that out?
For me, it all starts with the sourcery (or slapt-src ) build failure log output. I found that for the large majority of these build failures the problem can be found in the line or two just before the first make[ ]error line. I first try searching slapt-get and slapt-src using key words in the line in addition to googling the complete line or part of it. In this case the line of interest is:

xsl:import : unable to load http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl
Turns out that the keyword here is docbooks. Doing a slapt-get --search docbook you get the following output;

root[rich]# slapt-get --se docbook
abiword-2.8.6-x86_64-3gv [inst=no]: abiword (word processing for everyone)
linuxdoc-tools-0.9.67-x86_64-2 [inst=yes]: linuxdoc-tools (utilities for working with DocBook and SGML)
txt2tags-2.6-noarch-1 [inst=no]: txt2tags 2.6 (Text formatting tool)
xorg-docs-1.7-noarch-1 [inst=no]: xorg-docs (documentation for X11)
I actually ran into this build issue before with pygtksourceview and once I saw linuxdoc-tools, I knew that it was the missing build dependency. If i hadn't know I would have tried installing these one at a time (I would have skipped both abiword and xorg-docs) and see which one allowed pygtksourceview to successfully build. Bottom line for me is that it usually involves googling and trial and error installs, but as mimosa said once you get some experience building packages, you usually get to the correct answer a lot faster.
Also, before posting any response, i try to confirm that the solution that I am suggesting works. In this case I try building pygtksourceview and confirmed that the build failed in the same way that it did for globetrotterdk and then after installing linuxdoc-tools confirmed that pygtksourceview build successfully.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@laprjns

Your description of a systematic way to solve these problems (and how to answer them on the forum) cries out to be turned into a wiki post.

I would add one thing - the missing dependency may not be in the Salix repo, so it is worth also searching for it with slapt-src. Though I think it is more unusual for one of those to be missing.