broadcom sta / compiling

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
tao4

broadcom sta / compiling

Post by tao4 »

;) first of all: What a beautiful OS ! :~)

I got the following problem:
On my Lenovo G580 there is the Atheros AR8162 LAN controller and Broadcom BCM4313 WLAN,
and none of them is working after installation of Salix...
The Broadcom STA driver (wl) is working perfectly on Ubuntu/Mageia

Now, how to install it in Salix without Internet access?

What I already did:

-Downloaded the 64bit Broadcom_STA driver
broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112.tar.gz

-Downloaded Broadcom_sta SlackBuild
slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.0/network/broadcom-sta.tar.gz

Followed some instructions (extract slackbuild, put driver in same directory, start ./broadcom-sta.SlackBuild)
but it didn't work because of the kernel-source package. Downloaded it from
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware64-14.0/slackware64/k/kernel-source-3.2.29-noarch-1.txz
and installed it: installpkg kernel-sour*

Then make gave another error, and I downloaded the whole /d/ folder and installed it (installpkg *.txz) (after some
advice from the depth of the internet, that at least all building/making would function then...)
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware64-14.0/slackware64/d/

Well, it doesn't :~/
now make stops saying:

Code: Select all

(...)
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.2.29'
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.2.29'
Wireless Extension is the only possible API for this kernel version
Using Wireless Extension API
  LD      /tmp/SBo/build-broadcom-sta/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/SBo/build-broadcom-sta/src/shared/linux_osl.o
/bin/sh: /usr/src/linux-3.2.29/scripts/recordmcount: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make[1]: *** [/tmp/SBo/build-broadcom-sta/src/shared/linux_osl.o] Fehler 1
make: *** [_module_/tmp/SBo/build-broadcom-sta] Fehler 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.2.29'
(-> "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden" means "File not Found" :~)

~~~
I'm a Linux beginner, started with ubuntu7.10 and I am not too much in the depth of this...
Most of what I learned came from an excellent german ubuntu wiki: wiki.ubuntuusers.de , and similar sites...
So I would be very thankful for any hints about how to go on installing the broadcom_sta (wl) driver... *-*

Greetings,
Ralf
aurlaent
Donor

Re: broadcom sta / compiling

Post by aurlaent »

Not sure if thiis will help you, as it's taking a completely different direction,
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... less_cards
but it might be a start.
tao4

Post by tao4 »

Thx for your reply,

Somewhere I read, that this b43-cutter won't work well on the BCM4313, but I don't know for sure.
Maybe I already tried it before, and it didn't work... -> I really want to go for the STA driver, because
it worked well&easy on other systems...

--> The point where I'm stuck now does not seem to be the specific driver, but compiling in general.
I think there are simply some packages missing to make the 'make' work, and I don't know which ones :? :geek:
So I thought anyone with little knowledge/experience about 'building' and SlackBuilds is gonna have an easy answer :~)
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

Hello,

I have the BCM4313 and I use the BROADCOM STA, and it works perfectly for me. I just used Sourcery to install it and as far as I remember I didn't have any problems installing it through there. Did you already try it (instead of downloading the source and compiling using SlackBuild)?

Also, for this module, the built-in kernel module should work fine as well... the module is called b43 (I think?) The only thing that doesn't work for me with the built-in module is the LED indicator for my wifi.

EDIT: Did you check to see if /usr/src/linux-3.2.29/scripts/recordmcount is indeed there? Maybe you didn't install the kernel-source package correctly?
tao4

Post by tao4 »

High kcirick,
thx for your reply....
I have the BCM4313 and I use the BROADCOM STA, and it works perfectly for me. I just used Sourcery to install it and as far as I remember I didn't have any problems installing it through there. Did you already try it (instead of downloading the source and compiling using SlackBuild)?
-> Well, as I do not have any network connection on that machine ((LAN does not work either)), Sourcery is of no use, is it?

Also, for this module, the built-in kernel module should work fine as well... the module is called b43 (I think?) The only thing that doesn't work for me with the built-in module is the LED indicator for my wifi.
->nope, it doesn't... just tried: ((but I'm not sure about this one :~))

rmmod brcmsmac
rmmod brcmutil
modprobe b43

EDIT: Did you check to see if /usr/src/linux-3.2.29/scripts/recordmcount is indeed there? Maybe you didn't install the kernel-source package correctly?
-> yes, that seems wired, 'cause the recordmcount program is indeed there.... :roll:
-> I downloaded the kernel-source package manually from:
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/slackware64-14.0/slackware64/k/kernel-source-3.2.29-noarch-1.txz
...and installed it: :- ) dunno....it seemed to have worked ( -:

installpkg kernel-source-3.2.29-noarch-1.txz
~
So, I'm still left with a :idea: waiting to be enlightened... ^^