Salix OS on samsung rv511

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Jawad

Salix OS on samsung rv511

Post by Jawad »

Hello Salix Community :)
well i used to be a debian, fedora, ubuntu and linux mint user and i specify myself as an average user ( not a professional)
and wanted to install slackware, but i knew that i needed a community to learn from, so i chose Salix OS
i have a samsung rv511 laptop and Salix OS 13.37 64bit Mate.
the lspci output
root[jawad]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a7a (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
3f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
3f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
3f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
3f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
root[jawad]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.
i'm currently connected through eht0, the unusual thing that "dhclient" command didn't work i needed to use the gui program to connect :P

anyway i'm facing many problems out of the box, the Fn keys aren't working, the laptop heats much more than other Os.

i changed the LILO conf file
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
# Append any additional kernel parameters:
append="quiet vt.default_utf8=1"
boot = /dev/sda

# Boot BMP Image.
# Bitmap in BMP format: 640x480x8
bitmap = /boot/salix.bmp
# Menu colors (foreground, background, shadow, highlighted
# foreground, highlighted background, highlighted shadow):
bmp-colors = 255,20,255,20,255,20
# Location of the option table: location x, location y, number of
# columns, lines per column (max 15), "spill" (this is how many
# entries must be in the first column before the next begins to
# be used. We don't specify it here, as there's just one column.
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
# Timer location x, timer location y, foreground color,
# background color, shadow color.
bmp-timer = 65,29,0,255

# Standard menu.
# Or, you can comment out the bitmap menu above and
# use a boot message with the standard menu:
#message = /boot/boot_message.txt

# Wait until the timeout to boot (if commented out, boot the
# first entry immediately):
prompt
# Timeout before the first entry boots.
# This is given in tenths of a second, so 600 for every minute:
timeout = 20
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda6
label = Linux
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda1
label = Windows 7
table = /dev/sda
# Windows bootable partition config ends
it didn't change, the timeout still 5 seconds and the windows still in the first line,
and could anyone help me to enter some kernel parameter and how it is done on Salix and wich ones i need for my laptop
so thats it for now, i hope to find help in this community and become a Salix user for long time since iam not satisfied with other distros
i know i still a newbie for a 100% slackware based distro but i love the learning way so hit me up with any links i should read to get my self with salix
because there is no apt-get or yum here :P

anyway Thank you in advance sorry for my bad english :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix OS on samsung rv511

Post by mimosa »

I'm afraid I can't help with the specific laptop problems. But regarding finding your way round the distro - have you looked at the user guide?

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... rtup_Guide

You mention package management, for instance - well there's something about that there.

Also do search the forums for your model and your problems (which may appear in other laptops as well) if you haven't already.

The Slackbook is often helpful:

slackbook.org
www.slackware.com/book

as is the Arch linux documentation, even though the distro is no relation.

Good luck with Salix, and welcome to the community :)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Jawad wrote:# lspci
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
Broadcom chips set, see this thread http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... it=BCM4313
i changed the LILO conf file
it didn't change, the timeout still 5 seconds and the windows still in the first line,..
After editing lilo.conf you need to issue the "lilo -v" command in order for the changes to take effect.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Shador

Post by Shador »

Jawad wrote:i'm currently connected through eht0, the unusual thing that "dhclient" command didn't work i needed to use the gui program to connect :P
That's just one dhcp client. There's also dhcpcd which is used by Slackware/Salix among others. Apart from that /etc/rc.inet1.conf is used for network setup without a network manager like wicd.

Maybe you should have a look at the Slackware book to get an idea about the Slackware tools: http://www.slackbook.org/
There's also a Salix Startup Guide which is more aimed at the Salix (GUI) tools: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... rtup_Guide
Jawad wrote:the Fn keys aren't working
That would be surprising because that functionality is usually handled by the hardware and the OS does not even notice the difference. The OS receives the exactly same keycode as it would receive on normal hardware. Or do you mean the multimedia keys? Like play, volume, screen-cloning, ...?
There are also daemons like xfce-volumed (example for xfce) that handle some keys automatically. For other (very special) keys: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex ... ys_in_Xorg
Jawad wrote:the laptop heats much more than other Os.
Maybe cpu frequency scaling is not enabled? Have a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.
Jawad wrote:and could anyone help me to enter some kernel parameter and how it is done on Salix and wich ones i need for my laptop
They're set through the append or an addappend statement in the lilo.conf (man lilo.conf). For specific options. What makes you think there are? If you feel they're needed (because like something's broken) you've gotta search on the internet as I don't know a walking hardware dictionary yet. I'm not, I would need to do exactly the same search.
Jawad wrote:i changed the LILO conf file
Great! But what?
In any case you need to run lilo -v to get the bootloader in your MBR updated and thus the changes applied. lilo unlike grub runs entirely from MBR and does not access its lilo.conf file during actual boot.
Jawad wrote:because there is no apt-get or yum here :P
The package management is like the first thing I familiarize myself with when using a new distro with a different one ....

Being so thorough seems to make me too slow for mimosa and laprjns. :D
Jawad

Post by Jawad »

Shador wrote: That would be surprising because that functionality is usually handled by the hardware and the OS does not even notice the difference. The OS receives the exactly same keycode as it would receive on normal hardware. Or do you mean the multimedia keys? Like play, volume, screen-cloning, ...?
There are also daemons like xfce-volumed (example for xfce) that handle some keys automatically. For other (very special) keys: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex ... ys_in_Xorg
Yes i meant the multimedia Keys, only the sound and brightness keys are working, and i dont need the others but the brightness isn't changing :(
Shador wrote: They're set through the append or an addappend statement in the lilo.conf (man lilo.conf). For specific options. What makes you think there are? If you feel they're needed (because like something's broken) you've gotta search on the internet as I don't know a walking hardware dictionary yet. I'm not, I would need to do exactly the same search.
i feel i need them to make brightness changes work, thank you
Shador wrote: Great! But what?
In any case you need to run lilo -v to get the bootloader in your MBR updated and thus the changes applied. lilo unlike grub runs entirely from MBR and does not access its lilo.conf file during actual boot.

Code: Select all

root[jawad]# lilo -v
LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-Feb-2007 and compiled at 20:09:28 on Feb 14 2010

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
Using BITMAP secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/salix.bmp
Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-huge-2.6.37.6
Added Linux *

Unrecognized token "7" at or above line 68 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
root[jawad]# 
just edited the time from 5 seconds to 2, and puted the linux choice as the first one, didnt restarted to see the result

Thanks All, Great Community :)
Jawad

Post by Jawad »

Shador wrote:OK, thank you. It says here that your driver is not (currently) supported by the b43 driver: linuxwireless[dot]org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices
Could you check whether your device id as reported by lspci -nn -d 14e4: (value in square brackets towards the end) matches this one:

14e4:4727
Otherwise please post the line containing the device id as reported by lspci.

So that Salix wiki page about installing the firmware is of minor help to you.

But if the device id matches that driver could work: linuxwireless[dot]org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
To load that driver manually run this as root:

modprobe brcmsmac
If that doesn't work check the firmware directory with:

ls -l /lib/firmware/brcm
and give me a listing of the installed kernel related packages:

slapt-get -search '^kernel-'
EDIT: A first test whether that brcmsmac driver is working can be the output of iwconfig.

root[jawad]# lspci -nn -d 14e4:
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
Shador wrote:But if the device id matches that driver could work: linuxwireless[dot]org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
ok then it matches, a good sign :), so how could i found where is the what i know by "sources.list" so i can add the repositories ( sorry didnt read the books yet im going now :) );
i would be thankfull so much Shador <3

Thanks
Shador

Post by Shador »

Jawad wrote: Unrecognized token "7" at or above line 68 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
Know look for that line number and a 7? What do you see:
Jawad wrote:label = Windows 7
There must not be a space in the label. This is probably going to work:

label = "Windows 7"
Jawad wrote: just edited the time from 5 seconds to 2, and puted the linux choice as the first one, didnt restarted to see the result
That's not just what you did. ;)
Jawad wrote: ok then it matches, a good sign :), so how could i found where is the what i know by "sources.list" so i can add the repositories ( sorry didnt read the books yet im going now :) );
Who said you need to add a repository? That page I linked to was just for reference.

Just run this after installing the 3.3.6 kernel I posted in the forum, which is also mentioned as a requirement in the thread you quoted from:
Shador wrote: To load that driver manually run this as root:

modprobe brcmsmac
That driver is not yet available with the stock kernel version. Thus the upgrade to 3.3.6!
Jawad

Post by Jawad »

jawad[~]$ uname -a
Linux Jawad 3.3.6 #2 SMP Sun May 20 20:55:20 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 480  @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
jawad[~]$ su
Password: 
root[jawad]# modprobe brcmsmac
root[jawad]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

root[jawad]# :S

kernel updated to 3.3.6, command exceuted, still no wireless extentions :S

thank you :)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

From the Arch Wiki:
Wi-Fi card does not work or show up after kernel upgrade (brcmsmac)

This is caused by the kernel using the bcma module instead of the brcmsmac module. The solution is to blacklist the bcma module. For instructions, see Kernel_modules#Blacklisting.
Note: This affects only Linux kernels 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2. Since kernel 3.3, the brcmsmac module actually uses bcma, so bcma needs to be unblacklisted or the Wi-Fi interface will not appear.
Is the bcma module loaded on your system? Check with "lsmod | grep bcma" If not, then you may have to un-blacklist it.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Shador

Post by Shador »

Additionally do what I previously mentioned when you quoted me:
Shador wrote:If that doesn't work check the firmware directory with:

ls -l /lib/firmware/brcm
and give me a listing of the installed kernel related packages:

slapt-get -search '^kernel-'