Issues with Broadcom BCM4313 wireless chipset

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
cm1967

Issues with Broadcom BCM4313 wireless chipset

Post by cm1967 »

I've just installed Salix 13.37 XFCE (64-bit version) and everything is working great but the Broadcom 4313 wireless chipset. This is not a surprise since this is probably one of the least Linux-friendly wireless chipsets. I followed the tutorial on the wiki. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts here on the forum to allow me to post the link. The title of the wiki article is "How to install b43 firmware for Broadcom Wireless cards".

Is anyone else having issues with this specific wireless chipset?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Shador

Re: Issues with Broadcom BCM4313 wireless chipset

Post by Shador »

Try installing this more recent kernel: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3562

It's quite straightforward and your wireless probably works ootb. Otherwise chances are that it won't ever work.
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

I've been able to get this chipset working with many other distributions so, hopefully, this will work.
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

I finished installing the newer kernel but, unfortunately, the wireless still is not working. I can't quite wrap my head around why I'm able to get it working in Debian, Fedora, Vector, etc., but can't get it working with Salix. I'm a bit disappointed, really, because I was really liking this distro and didn't want to have to remove it and replace it with one that I can get the wireless working in.

Thanks for your help.
Shador

Post by Shador »

OK, sorry, but you're coming and leaving that fast. No chance helping you. I guess something went wrong, but like that I can't tell what.
Like this would have helped:

Code: Select all

uname -a   # are you really properly running the new kernel?
lspci
lsusb    # for usb devices
iwconfig
In any case I know of many users that got their chipsets working by just installing that more recent kernel package. The one released with Slackware is like the Slackware release itself pretty old. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed too, because you don't even give one the chance to help you. Why ask in the first place when you're not at all prepared to attack the problem or to at least provide the information to work on it?
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

Oh, I'm not wanting to leave. I would love getting this working. I've had Salix installed for about a week and haven't been able to get the wireless working.

Like I mentioned, I love this distro. It's very, very fast and xfce is pretty much configured the way I like it out-of-the-box. I would LOVE to get this working. I would prefer not going back to Fedora or Debian.

I already did a uname and I am running the new kernel.
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

I forgot to run iwconfig to see if there are extensions. No Wireless Extensions found, unfortunately.
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

By the way, I should clarify. I'm not disappointed in Salix. Salix is a great OS. I'm disappointed in the choice of chipset in this laptop. My next machine is coming from System76 so I know all of the hardware should work with the latest kernel. I'm not giving up on making this work. I currently have it installed on my testing hard drive so once I get it working, I can install it on my main drive to be used as my main OS. I would like to replace Fedora as my main OS.

Thanks for your help with this.
cm1967

Post by cm1967 »

Now that I have the latest kernel running, I thought it might be a good idea trying the tutorial at http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... less_cards again. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the wireless working.

Would trying Network Manager instead of Wicd do any good or would that just be a waste of time?
Shador

Post by Shador »

Well, posting the output of all the commands I previously posted might give some hints.